The fire, whose smoke column we saw from the lake, began as a house fire. The family lost everything and was connected with the Red Cross, a statement that makes me sad.
I don't know how families go through losing homes to fire, all their belongings, memories, often their pets and just start over again, often at a later age.
Or how they do it, financially.
The friend I went to the lake with is the lady who is living on the decrepid disgusting property that she and her brother bought, after selling her mom's house in town, without really looking on the inside. She assumed her friend and coworker, who owned the dump, bred big dogs there, was an outspoken "Christian", would not lie to her. But she did lie and the place is a disaster and should be demolished.
She really needs a miracle, like to find a nonprofit that would take that mess of a structure away and pull in with a livable mobile home.
I thought it was stupid to buy it. Junk outside to me meant the inside was probably a wreck too I told her. Besides, breeding big dogs? Inside a mobile home? That's nuts on its own. I knew the place inside would be torn up and stink to high heaven, and it was and it did. Probably should be condemned.
It makes me mad. They saw her as a mark, gullible, believing, empathetic, certain a "friend" would not sell her a place that actually needs bulldozed.
There's nothing I can do. I need to let that go in my mind. But at least I can invite her to go to the lake now and then, for some fun. I love to have company when I go places. It's been tough to find company for adventures. From her place, the lake is like twenty minutes drive.
![]() |
| There's the stick outhouse. It will be soon enough be high and dry. |
![]() |
| Picnic site---my friend looks to be asleep. |


It sounds like your friend is paralyzed by everything that needs to be done, but if she has municipal trash she can start by filling up as many trash cans as possible each time the truck comes around. Just knowing there would be an end to each of the cleaning sessions might help her out emotionally.
ReplyDeleteYou can only fill your one can per week here. They charge for extra, lots in fact. She's got no money really. The mobile needs a new roof. The ceiliing inside is collapsed from the leakage and water. There's open wiring. Mice running in the walls she said. I don't know, so much needs done, I can see why she is overwhelmed and depressed.
DeleteI think she'll be fine there, get going on the work needs done, put off what really can't be done til some other time, live in the structurally sound barn if she has to, til the mobile is repaired or replaced or whatever.
DeleteWhat a disaster for your friend. Some people really need advice from others. Anyway, you had a fun day out.
ReplyDeleteI had a fun day out.
DeleteSucks for your friend. There are some terrible people out there, and many masquerade as good, honest, Christian folk. *snort* Are there any of those makeover TV shows for homes that might take her on? Sometimes they come in and fix up really big messes.
ReplyDeleteWell she doesn't listen to me, so I better remain out of it. I hope she can find a good solution.
DeleteA sad story for sure. Not sure about real estate law in your area, and whether she used an agent, but all that stuff is required to be disclosed in writing.
ReplyDeleteThey didn't use agents. I told her to get an inspection at least but she doesn't listen to me. There's nothing that can be done. It was easy to see that was a dump property. I do not know why she was surprised.
DeleteAround here, church groups often do work days for people who need help like your friend. I don't know if she has asked for help from anyone like that. But in the meantime, it's good you get her out of her mess for a little while at the lake.
ReplyDeleteI got to stay out of it. She doesn't listen to a word I say. I need to let it go.
DeleteI hope you were able to let go of worrying about this. ~hugs~ It's frustrating when folks won't listen to reason.
ReplyDelete