Saturday, August 22, 2026

Shift to Cooler

 Today dawned cool and cloudy.  Like yesterday began.   But yesterday got hot and cloudy, which meant humid.  Yuk.

Rascal, the yard stray fixed last winter, ambled into the garage for awhile this morning.  Gigi confronted him, but then allowed him to stay unmolested, lol.  I was surprised.



It's doubtful we will get rain but it will be much cooler.  Temps today and Sunday alleged to be in the 70's.

I guess its mow my backyard weather.   Darn it.

This big easy going gray and white boy is also a neighbors cat.  He lives behind me and a house down.  I forget his name.   He's a frequent visitor.  Very well behaved.



Thursday turned out to be about 95 degrees here.  I stupidly continued onward in the heat, doing outside chores.   

I first went to the Farmer's Market in Lebanon to get vegetables using my Farm to Table coupons for seniors.  These are available each year, from the state, to seniors, if you apply.  The allocation is by lottery, however, since funding is limited.  You may or may not get lucky.  This year I got lucky. 

 However, the places that take the coupons are few and far between.  The Farmers Markets take them.  They are, however, usually the most expensive places on earth to get fresh veggies.  My 3 coupons ($12 worth) however, bought me a large bunch of beets (probably six medium size) and their greens, a large head of butter lettuce, two apple cucumbers and four ears of corn.  I was so satisfied, that I spent those 3 coupons wisely and got a tremendous amount of food.   

Today I start up a large kettle of Borscht.   If you've read my blog long, you know how much I like Borscht.   I don't have cabbage but today I'll get a bag of coleslaw mix.  Its dry, no dressing and contains shredded carrots and two types of shredded cabbage and reduces the chopping needed to make Borscht.  Cabbage, carrots, potatoes, beets---the main ingredients of Borscht.  I used bagged chopped cabbage/carrots for curry too, since I like curry with those two vegetables but I don't like to grate.

After the Farmers Market, I then went directly to the Mennonite run Grocery Depot in search of bokchoy and leeks, for a decent price.  I found bokchoy, but not leeks.   I also there got a bag of oranges for $1.99.   It's enough oranges to squeeze half glass of orange juice every day for five days.  I use them that way because generally the cheap oranges are pithy and better for juice than to eat.

I like a hint of orange juice in morning coffee too.   Is that strange or do others like that?

I finally got the plywood piece cut to fit the back of the personal car, so I could, if I would, go camp and comfortably sleep in the back of the car.   I got four large pillows months ago.  I fit them into an oversized sleeping bag and it becomes a cushy mattress for the back.  I just needed the board then, in the back.  A friend helped me get a board home with his pickup months ago.

 The endeavor to cut the board down to the right size and shape was pathetic.  I accidentally cut one metal sawhorse in half, for instance.  Then the jigsaw fell apart when I was cutting out the shock access protrusion area of the board, to fit the back.  I can fix the cut in two sawhorse and I will one day.  Just add it to the list of projects.  I'll have to rig a fix on the jigsaw too, for it to be usable.  Add to already lengthy fix it list.

The board IS in the back of the car now though.  I didn't yet get the forward passenger side section cut off, to then hinge to the larger back section.  Its still a one piece board.  I need to cut and hinge it so I can flip the extended section, for sleeping, on the passenger side, backwards when not in use for sleeping.   With it extended forward, to accomadate my length for sleeping, the passenger seat must be as far forward as it can go and tilted forward.   This makes my passenger seat unusable.  I'll at least do that today.

 It's not supposed to get to 80 degrees today.  Yesterday, after tiring myself in the 95 degree heat of Thursday, I did little and went to bed early.

Stevie, from the house behind me, visited also.  He acts like I caught him doing something he shouldn't be doing.


Today I've already done a lot of yardwork this morning and can't do more because the yard debris bin is full. Which means--no mowing the backyard.  Oh, I'm so sad.  Lol.  Not!  

 Because the temp will be up in high 70's, with clouds, means humidity and I don't "do" humidity well.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Shift to Cooler

 Today dawned cool and cloudy.  Like yesterday began.   But yesterday got hot and cloudy, which meant humid.  Yuk. Rascal, the yard stray fi...