Monday, October 28, 2024

Rain

 We have had soo much rain the last few days.

Came down in buckets.   

I spent the weekend sleeping off last week.   Strange dreams too.

In one, I was walking my dog, Denali, who is long long long gone. Decades gone.

And when I stopped to help a lady whose dogs got loose, I realized Denali wasn't at the end of the very long leash anymore.

I searched and searched to no avail.   Finally I went to a shelter, where apparently I worked.  And one head honcho said "Did we get those dogs in yet from Springfield?  When they come in, take them out back and shoot them."   I stared at her in disbelief.  At that moment a large crate with four beautiful dogs inside was brought in.  One was a bright eyed beautiful young German shepherd.  I yelled at her to look in their eyes, you murderer.  You're a shelter for gosh sakes!   They planned to sell their bodies to research companies.  I threw down my work gear and stormed out.

I went to a different shelter who said they had found my dog, but I couldn't remember exactly what she looked like or if this was my dog they were showing me. I wondered why I couldn't remember.  They said this dog would be killed if I didn't take her.   Then I was suddenly with a family outside their house and begging them to tell me the way back to where I lost my dog, because I didn't know how to get there but they ignored me and were laughing and talking about other things like they couldn't hear me.   I woke up then.

I had another dream where I was in a dormitory for some reason.  The front part had no walls, and was open. The side of the room had huge holes where the floor met the wall.   The dean of the dorm came to say hello and I said I can't stay here, my cats will get out.  I had three cats with me, Slinko was one of them and he at that moment jumped through the open front out into the hallway.  The dean leaned down to pet him and said "what a nice cat" then to me "I can see why you can't stay here."

After sleeping almost all day yesterday, I finally am awake at 4:00 this morning.  I do work hard, then I recuperate for a few days of mostly sleeping.  It's always been that way.  Some of the work is physical, carrying heavy traps all over, loading and unloading them repeatedly, but its also a lot of stress and my method of removing the stress is to sleep it off.  Seems to work for me.

 I don't know if its still raining out this morning.  We've been close to freezing a few nights here but so far have not had a real freeze.  I suppose that will change.  We're supposed to get our usual wet winter with snow in the mountains, with a slight La Nina pattern.  

Saturday I made grape juice from the concord grapes gleaned Thursday.  I put them on the stove in a large pot with some water, brought to a boil, mashed them with potato masher, let simmer a few minutes, cooled, then strained through cheese cloth.   I got three pitchers from the two sacks of grapes I picked.  It's very good grape juice.



We have a gleaners potluck next week, at the monthly meeting.  I haven't decided yet what to make to take.  

I am taking a break from cat fixing since I have no appointments until the very end of next month.   My nonprofit has very little money currently, so if I get any cats fixed at the private clinic it will be one or two in unfinished colonies.   Maybe I can get up to Sweet Home to get the ones left at the 7-11 colony, for instance.  It cost the nonprofit about $1600 to get the 15 cats fixed from the Waterloo colony.  They were almost all girls and I paid extra to get them three-way vaccines.  At home, I wormed them with my own supplies and flea treated them too.   Nothing is easy or affordable anymore in regards to fixing cats.   It's become a nightmare of costs, driving and deciding who will get helped and who won't.  

Tabitha from 7-11 has fit in well here.


I took Buggyboo, the kitten from the Belinger road colony, up to Portland Friday evening.   It was a very long drive due to congestion on the way up and on the way back.   But it was worth it to leave him in the hands of a very capable adoption group.

I was so tired by Friday evening, I stopped at the rest area when I finally got there, after leaving off Buggyboo, and slept a bit before driving the rest of the way home.  I had another doctors appointment Friday afternoon, like the Friday before, for my ringing ear, the third attempt to get in there in as many weeks, but once again they cancelled it last minute.  Three times now.   I won't make another that they will just cancel last minute.  Its pointless.   Three times?   I think I have water in my ear.  When I bend over and turn my head there is a whoosh sound like water moving.  It will work out eventually I hope.





2 comments:

  1. Those sound like high anxiety dreams that I would be glad to wake up from. The grape juice looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be how my brain rids itself of all the animal suffering, or at least deals with it somewhat, after a big project and seeing too much awfulness.

      Delete

Rain

 We have had soo much rain the last few days. Came down in buckets.    I spent the weekend sleeping off last week.   Strange dreams too. In ...