Tuesday, October 15, 2024

A Few Days of Hard Work

 I've got work to do.

A lady has 16 FCCO appointments tomorrow.  I trapped 9 of the cats last night.

I did so because I have two appointments during the day today and also because they were leaving this morning on a planned trip.   The appointments they got were transferred from someone else and I agreed to trap and transport.   Anyhow....

I couldn't resist five appointments offered Monday in Salem.  Cancellation appointments.   I got four from a Sweet Home lady who had trapped the three kittens and mom after a neighbor abandoned mom and kittens when they moved.  The kittens are wildish, the  mom kind of skittish.  Seemed like anyhow.  All three kittens turned out to be girls too.

For the fifth cat I took an orange tabby boy from Lebanon.   I already took his mom and her two most recent kittens to be fixed.

Boots, the mom

Baby Boots

Friday

Goblin

Hades

After I returned all five cats to their caretakers I headed straight to the 12th st. colony in Lebanon.  

I haven't taken photos yet of the cats trapped but I can say it wasn't pretty.  The drop trap had been set up on the large rock area off the driveway, to prefeed.  These are difficult to place traps on, they're so large.  They're difficult to drop trap on too.   

I caught four under the drop trap, then one more in a live trap.  Then the big male they say chases off and fights with other cats went under and I dropped it over him.  I couldn't get him out from under it.  He just plopped down and began whining.   He meowed and I prodded him from behind, but he refused to move into the transfer trap.  20 minutes passed.  I could tell he was tame and began petting him through the drop trap.  I reached into the drop trap, from space above the transfer trap and tried to pull him into the trap by the scruff.  He was just too big and fat.   

Really, I thought, is this guy fixed already?  He seemed so lazy and so fat, to be an unfixed cat.  The caretaker assured me he has large balls.  I never got a look and finally had to put a towel over his hind end area and scoop him into the trap.  After that I caught four more under the drop trap.   I had to release the Siamese mom, who had kittens only a couple days ago.   A large aggressive male snagged me on the ankle with his claws through the trap.

I left with nine cats.   Their family was gathering and visiting pre trip so I left.   I know of one more teen there, and two small kittens big enough to eat hard food.   Another family member will feed them while they are gone.   Maybe I'll be able to get them tonight, I don't know.   I had to catch them last night since I have appointments today and also because they'll be gone now for a few days.  I don't like holding them an extra day in traps but they will survive.  This is the colony, in the video below, taken when I took over the drop trap.



No comments:

Post a Comment

A Few Days of Hard Work

 I've got work to do. A lady has 16 FCCO appointments tomorrow.  I trapped 9 of the cats last night. I did so because I have two appoint...