Friday, October 11, 2024

Rosy

 Rosy was treated so well at Alpine Animal Hospital.  They were so kind to her.

She got that hard plastic jar cut off her.   It had been around her neck and head a long time and they said it smelled like death beneath it.  Her ears had been pinned back and cut from it.  She had a cut on her chin and  on her neck and the buildup of gunk around its edges and underneath stunk.  She got all that cleaned off.

She was also spayed.

Currently she is recovering in the garage.  She won't go back to the colony which is too large and there's not enough food to go around.   A woman in Portland offered to take her.  She'll go there.

I would love to get that colony fixed instantly but there's no place to get it done.

 She has a dozen or so FCCO spots in December I think but she (the feeder lady) counted 20 kittens and teens alone last week.

It should have been done a year or more ago.  Now....I don't know.  

It's really very sad, the whole situation, with no affordable high volume spay neuter, outside of the FCCO in Portland.

Rosy's story in three pictures:






Oregon has become so backwards in so many ways.  And too expensive for many people.   Social Security cost of living increase this year is not even enough to cover the increase in fees this city has proposed adding monthly to the water bill.  I don't know how small businesses survive.   At least with my small business, I can just quit for awhile when the books are hovering near the red zone.

The state is increasing fees again to camp at state parks.   It seems so strange to me that the state is promoting all these climate change things and yet have turned their state parks into havens for gas guzzling massive great whites.  That's what I call the huge RV's, trailers, fifth wheelers that clog the highways in the summer, often also pulling cars behind them.  I want to gag when I see them, motor bikes strapped on the back, a car on a trailer behind.  These now make up probably 99% of what you see in campsites.  If the state was actually serious about climate change, they'd revert to tent and car only camping at their state parks and not cater to these monsters. So when the state officials talk about climate change I want to crack up in laughter at the hypocrisy of it all.

My neighbors have a giant RV.  Actually several on the block do.   My neighbors used theirs twice last summer, each time for one night.   All that work they put into heading off for one night in it, then paying to store it somewhere the rest of the time---I can't believe people do that.  I think it gets about 6 mpg.  They didn't go anymore after the campfire ban was in effect because mostly they like to sit by a campfire.

I don't blame them, I do also, but I don't mind not having one either.    I like camping in my car.  There's no work to it.  I can just go in a flash.  I suppose the allure of the huge RV's is partly due to all the rain in Oregon.  You can go out in the winter and not feel the affects of weather.  It's like owning a mobile second home with all the comforts.  I don't know how people have the money for it though.  Maybe really good jobs.  My brother claims its all on credit cards.

I think the smartest way to live right now if I was young would be in the smallest most energy efficient house or apartment with the cheapest oldest car one can find.  The older mileage efficient short on electronics cars are far cheaper to maintain long term.  They're more climate friendly too than the electric ones, whose batteries are very costly to the environment, both in their components and once they fail.  (or get wet and become fire hazards like in hurricane areas).  I wish a car company would get the picture and create a simple lightweight cheap car with no features.   We'd all love that.

I'm going to make hand pie filling of half the apples gleaned Wednesday.  I will freeze most of the fillings, so I can make fresh hand pies when I like.  I was strict with myself and only came home with half bucket so I wouldn't waste them.  They're beautiful large granny smiths.

I heard the crazies came out of the woodwork over the two hurricanes, Helene and Milton, hitting Florida a couple weeks apart.   I only heard about that this morning, that the conspiracy people say its because of the government "seeding" with contrails to cause storms to influence the election.   What will the nutcases come up with next, I wonder.  Makes life very entertaining but I wonder about the collective intelligence at times.

Another cat run next week, this time to Portland and the FCCO, with up to 16 cats from a Lebanon colony, plus Rosy along to go to her new place.   

In the meantime.....



No comments:

Post a Comment

Rosy

 Rosy was treated so well at Alpine Animal Hospital.  They were so kind to her. She got that hard plastic jar cut off her.   It had been aro...