Thursday, March 28, 2024

Dashing

 Got a message this morning.  Was I even really awake yet?   The weather has been really winterish, with winds, pouring rain, cold, even thunderstorms.   Its yucky out.  

The call delivered good news.   Starla was caught this morning up in the park.  After Boo, the black male, was caught at the park in my trap, when the camp host was trying to catch Starla, for the camp hosts who are no longer there and couldn't catch her before they left, I wondered if Starla would be harder to catch.  Boo got fixed and returned the next day.  Starla seemed to have vanished.

But I got the call this morning, they caught her.  But they'll need to use my trap further, because some homeless campers lost their kitten there, before they moved on.  So they'll be trying to catch that kitten with my trap now.

I was really happy for Starla and her people.  Made my day.

But then I get a facebook message about lots of pregnant cats at a colony in Sweet Home.   Like ten or more.  I spent a couple hours attempting to find some stray spay neuter spots anywhere.  Low and behold I got two tomorrow at Friends of Felines and five more there Tuesday, specifically for the girls at this colony.   I only heard about the colony this morning.  I've never visited it or checked it out in any way.

I began to get nervous.  It's pouring rain outside and I've never even seen this colony and I've got two spots tomorrow at a clinic I've not been to before for pregnant cats.   Pressure's on!

I went out to a local restaurant early afternoon with two neighbors.  Keithas Kitties was doing a fundraiser through them.   KKR got 20% of what you spent.   We'd been planning to go eat lunch there to support KKR for over a week.  It was fun!   

After that, I had to load the car with three traps and head to Sweet Home in the pouring rain.  I messaged a friend who lives up there and she advised me not to come, the weather was just too lousy for trapping. I decided to just hope for the best.  There could be some breaks in the rain.

I used my makeshift selective trap device so I could target only females and covered the trap with a piece of plastic carpet runner.    I ended up in the end with two of the girls.  There were so many cats and it was difficult to see who might be pregnant or even make guesses at who might be a female, through the rain spattered windshield.  This colony is behind a convenience store.





I was after this one as she needs fixed badly and did catch her, along with a lynx/torti point Siamese female.

The big tabby male eating in the trap I didn't want to take tonight, so let him eat.  Likewise the gray and white male.  Later, the two boys engaged in a face to face off, all puffed up faces inches from one another, oh it was pathetic and I sent them running.

It's hard for a spay neuteraholic like myself to see all these unfixed cats and resist the urge to catch them all and instead patiently try to selectively trap the ones needing vet care first.   

Off to bed I go.
Tabitha

Samantha


13 comments:

  1. I was here--- once again, thanks for what you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent news about Starla and hooray for making a start on yet another colony.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately, there's never a shortage of cats that need help. If someone is going to be an "alholic", I think "spa- neuteraholic" is a good one to be. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, never a shortage. Thanks on the thumbs up over my personal obsession.

      Delete
  4. It sounds like you've found yourself a new project. Just when you thought all the colonies were handled...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing the positive word on Starla and news about the incredible work you are continuing. Those scared little faces you photographed are so precious. It makes me smile to know you enjoyed an outing, especially when it's for a good cause. Hugs, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a good ol time, chatting away, while we ate.

      Delete
    2. I wish I'd been there. :D

      Delete
  6. It never ends, does it. That was good to catch Starla.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never will end. It was a great thing, the starla news.

      Delete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...