Monday, April 01, 2024

Easter Sunday

 I had a fun day yesterday.

The sun was out, as it is today, but yesterday was not particularly warm.   60 something for a high.  Better than rain.

Today maybe it will be warmer.  Sun out earlier and no clouds to speak of.

My nephew and his wife and two kids were going to stop by just after noon and meet me at a local restaurant for a late breakfast/lunch. (or early dinner).

In the meantime, I have spay neuter reservations to fill.   Early early, 5:00 a.m. or so, I was up, getting ready to head to Sweet Home by 7:00 I had hoped, to trap five cats for the appointments today before my relatives came.

I had six or so traps in the car, some bait, coffee and headed out.   But after catching a black cat quickly (named Twilight for the records), nobody was coming out.   Someone had left out a whole lot of food, which makes it frustrating and harder to catch cats who are not hungry.

Then, a huge semi truck arrives, parks along the highway and driver guy is out roaming around talking on a cell phone.  Finally he gets back in the semi truck, waits for a break in traffic and backs it expertly into the yard of the house right next to the parking lot where I sit, watching traps, that now are about 20 feet from what looks like a giant moving van.  The two cats out and about scram for cover.

Twenty minutes later a mini van roars into the parking lot and awkwardly parks across from me, guy gets out, gulping coffee, putting on work gloves, and goes around the parking lot fence to the semi truck to help load whatever they're loading into that semi from the house next to the convenience store.  Probably the people who live there are moving.

I didn't figure I'd catch anymore cats with all the racket going on, but I did stick it out, til after 11:00 and caught three more.

In the meantime, the 7-11 manager comes by.  She is really nice, loves cats and had trapped one herself there a week before who also is tame.  She's worked to tame many of the cats.  I'll pick her up to be fixed tomorrow.  The manager is trying to get her a home, but has no idea if she may be pregnant or not.  Anyhow, she'll be fixed tomorrow at Friends of Felines.   

I took the four cats I've caught home, set them up in the garage, quickly shower, change clothes and drive down to meet my family at the restaurant along the river.   They arrive shortly after.   I was so excited to meet their new baby and see Ellie, their 3 year old.   It was good to see my nephew and niece in law too.   They're off to southern Brazil, where she's from, where her family lives.   What a long trip that is with a toddler and baby!   We had such a grand time visiting and walking along the river.

After they left, I stopped in at my neighbors.   She had some friends over whom I knew too, although they'd already eaten Easter dinner together there.  I admit, I had some leftovers.  Couldn't resist.  

Then it was back to Sweet Home.  I had to return the two girls fixed Friday.  And I only had four cats for today's five spots.  Plus I didn't want to have to trap again today and needed three more for tomorrow's spots.   I trapped three more very quickly, delivered two bags of cat food to someone in need, and picked up one trapped there by someone else the night before.   I got back home about 9:30 and went straight to bed.

I took Zeke and Tyson, two boys from the colony today.  I took Montana, a gorgeous unusually marked Siamese boy whom I trapped last night.  I took Orion, a gray tabby tux, whose sex is unknown to me, and then Elvira, the cat trapped there the night before, by someone else.  Those are the five being fixed today.

Tomorrow I take Twilight, another black one I caught yesterday, Sushi, a Siamese mix girl I caught yesterday, and Tuna, a tame black and white girl from the colony, along with the cat the manager caught there and another caught by yet someone else there about three days ago.  Many of the black cats are very tame.

Here are photos of four of the five up being fixed today.  I'll get better photos tonight after I pick them up.    The photo of Elvira was took blurred to post.  Was dark when I left this morning and was trying to take the photos.  Elvira is a short hair black, allegedly a female, I was told, by the lady who trapped her two nights ago.

Zeke

Montana

Orion

Tyson

Off to take a nap!



13 comments:

  1. You had a busy Easter! I just worked in the yard, pretty weather being something to take advantage of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is nice weather and we're only supposed to get one more day of it then more rain. I only got part of my lawn out back weed whacked, shame on me.

      Delete
  2. You definitely deserve a nap, my dear. I hope these lovely meet-ups and helpful folks sustain you through times less enjoyable. ~hugs~ Thanks so much for all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been busy. I'm sure it was good to see your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a productive and fun day, not the least helped by some sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sunshine is all gone now, back to rain.

      Delete
  5. Your energy is a great match for the never-ending supply of cats that need to be fixed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what someone else told me. But, only possible because I nap a lot.

      Delete
  6. You had a really productive day - and I am amazed that you managed to catch so many.
    Well done - and nap well. You deserve it. Big time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have been very social while continuing your 'day job'.

    ReplyDelete

Five Cats Fixed Yesterday

 Two Liliths from two towns were fixed yesterday.  Coincidence?  I guess. This Lilith is from Lebanon and was left behind by her people at a...