Friday, December 15, 2023

Tough Out Day

 I took 9 cats from near Sweet Home to the FCCO clinic today.

I was up too late last night, and back and forth to Sweet Home twice, to get the 9 caught.

There are two I did not catch.  They were supposed to try to catch them today, but I don't think the message got to the right people.  Lot of people living  there.  All are men of various ages except the old woman in the wheelchair, who was my contact.  The in and out at night, of people through the front door made last evening and nights endeavor largely useless.   

They're supposed to try to catch the last two in the morning, in case I get an extra spot Monday.   Monday are my last spots for the month.   They're reserved for other cats but not sure other cats will be caught, especially the mom of the kittens fixed Wednesday.

The old lady's caregiver was to check traps last night a last time at 11:00 p.m.  So I stayed up til then, got no call and went to bed.  This morning I got started about 6:15 for Portland.  Traffic was a breeze!  There were no slow downs whatsoever all the way to the clinic.   So I got there early, like at 7:25 a.m.   I checked them in and headed to Winco, where I get a salad and a sandwich and a drink then head to the rest area.

I spent the day at the rest area and didn't leave until 3:00 to drive back to the clinic.  About half that time, I slept in the back.   I got cold.  I'd not brought my warmer blanket nor worn my beloved wool socks, as I meant to.  The rest area is shaded and the wind blowing was cold, although otherwise it was a beautiful winter day.  

The rest of the time I played on my phone, read, ate my sandwich and salad, and walked around.

Traffic was congested on the way home but only for a few miles, then it was smooth sailing.  I got the cats fed but to my horror, when doing the cat chores, I found Mums dead in a carrier.  This was shocking and sudden event although she's 16 years old.   I can only assume since it appears she was sleeping when she died that she passed of a heart event or stroke.  I'd checked on her this morning, as I noticed she'd been wobbling, then plopping down, after walking only a few steps.  Mums was not tame.

 Mums came originally from a bad situation in Lebanon--the Shovel Killing Christian Neighbor colony.  An old lady had all these cats around her lousy rental, and the rental cabins were going to be demolished.  The neighbor, who played in a church band, came over and cheerfully offered to kill them with a shovel.   Par for the course, and for Christians, around here, at least.   

Of all those cats I got out of there way way back, Tugs and Mums did not get homes, were not tame enough.

She had a long life here.  Her colony mate, Tugs, a classic torti, is here too. She may have been Mums mother.  Tugs is older but still alive, a tiny thing, fading now with age.  

First some photos of Mums.





Mums and Sam were best of friends.  I knew it would hurt her when he died.  Almost all my photos of Mums are of her and Sam together.   The last photo above was taken clear back in 2012, 11 years ago.  How time flies.   Sam and Mums were close to the same age.   Mums wasn't friendly with me but she had a lot of cat friends.  Her last year had been a struggle for her, as she lost weight, lost friends, and just experienced the slowdown and the indignities of age.   I'm happy her death was sudden and fast.  She and Tugs both had been on my watch list due to their old age status and frailty.

I survived a tough day today.   Tomorrow I return the 9 cats and then Monday is my last day of clinic this month and I can kick back for a bit.  I don't mind being busy and getting so many cats in to be fixed.   It's work that makes a clear difference for the future, is one reason I like it so much.

R.I.P. my dear Mums.

8 comments:

  1. RIP Mums indeed. And thank you for the good life you gave her.
    You make a HUGE difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her colony mate, Tugs, occasionally comes down on my bed, mornings, for petting. Mums never did that. Otherwise Tugs can usually be found cuddled with her best friends on the top bunk. Slurpy, another torti, also elderly now, is her bestie.

      Delete
  2. Sad about Mums. One day you'll have no cats left at home. They all seem so old.
    It must be hard hanging around waiting when it so cold. You need to prepare yourself well.
    I'm not loving many Christians at the moment, and shovel man is just another reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, my family is dying off of old age. I still have quite a few but most are very old. I am ashamed I didn't prepare better for yesterday's day. I won't let it happen again.

      Delete
  3. So sorry to hear about Mums. She is yet another cat who you gave a much better life to, and I'm sure she appreciated that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She did have a great life here.

      Delete
  4. I agree with all these comments. ~nods~ That guy's shovel should be put to better use, like on him. But don't you dare feel ashamed for being under-prepared. I'm just sorry you were cold. And finding Mums like that is sad. Hugs, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry about Mums. How many cats have you lost lately? It seems like several have passed as of late.

    ReplyDelete

The Empty House

 Ah, I'm lying.  House is not empty.  Just empty of extra cats. I drove the Gills Landing family, Torti and her Kittens, to Portland Fri...