Thursday, December 14, 2023

Off to Hillsboro with Six Hissy Spitters

 It was round three yesterday.

All my spay neuter spots and transports are congregated from last Friday through next Monday.

Last Friday I took ten cats from three caregivers to the FCCO.  Monday I had two spots at the OHSS clinic in Salem, which expanded, due to cancellations, to five.  All five of those cats came from Albany.

Yesterday, it was a trip to Hillsboro, to a shelter that held a spay neuter clinic and to which I was generously invited to come with a few cats.  No way I'd turn that down    A lady down in Harrisburg had been feeding a mom and six kittens.  She caught all six kittens but so far, not the mom.   I took the six kittens, now about 3 months of age, up to Hillsboro yesterday.  

I was home again by 4.   They were done fast.  This was awesome.  Their lady came and picked them up after she got off work.  She'll keep trying to catch their mom.  I have three more spots Monday in Salem.  Monday is my final day of appointments this month.  Round five.  

In the meantime, today, for Round 4, I will go try to catch not sure how many around a trailer not more than a mile from the Sweet Home colony I've worked.  This lady got the mom cat fixed, but not before she'd had two litters.  The two litters are wild things, she says.  I didn't see any of them when I dropped off a trap to prefeed in last Sunday.  She doesn't even know how many there are but there won't be more than 12 I would think (six per litter) and likely will be fewer than 12.

Tomorrow, whomever I catch today there, will go to the FCCO in Portland to be fixed.

After dropping the six kittens off at the clinic yesterday, I had breakfast at IHOP.   I took my time, not knowing what else to do in that area.  The last time I went to this shelter with cats to be fixed, it was warm and I spent the day at Hagg Lake, napping in the sun.  Hagg Lake is not far at all from the shelter site.

The kittens were four girls--three muted tortis and a classic torti, and two boys--one all gray and one a black tux.

Boy kitten

The other boy

The classic torti

Muted torti

2nd Muted torti

And the third muted torti

For some reason, they do left ear tips when they fix ferals at that shelter clinic.  An ear tip is an ear tip however.   No big deal.

I finally went to Fred Meyer and got a new cable connection for my printer.   One end of the usb cable was badly damaged, unusable.   Lucky for me they had the right cable on sale!  There were multiple police officers at the Fred Meyer doing a "shop with a cop" Christmas event. 

I've been trying to get the printer going.   I ordered two four packs of ink refills online.  When the package arrived, there was only one four pack plus a black cartridge.   I've been communicating with the company but so far have not received the missing three cartridges, the color ones, from the second four pack.  The cable was the other issue with my printer.

The other problem I've been having is with my not that old computer monitor.    It ripples bizarre colors blinks and goes in and out, drives my brain nuts, as it slowly fails and sometimes just shuts off.   Fortunately a friend had one she no longer used and was going to donate somewhere and left it here yesterday.   I will hook it up today.   

It's after 7:00 a.m. and I need to be on the road by 8:30, to get up to the colony I'll be trapping by 9:00 or so.   Last night, when I talked to their feeder, I asked her, with trepidation, when she usually feeds the cats in the morning.   She's in her 80's and a lot of older people are up long before the sun to feed their cats.   I relaxed when she said around 9:00 or 10:00.  Whew!

This is a crazy busy week.  I try, between trips to drop off traps or pick up cats or day trips to transport cats, to keep up on the daily chores here, but its tough, when I'm tired out.  I want to plop in a chair, not clean more litter boxes or mop or do more laundry.

Muffy was acting super silly last night.




I really have zero idea on how old Muffy is.   I remember when I took her to be fixed, the Heartland tech told me she was much older than I had estimated. That was five or six years ago. Then a year or so ago she had to go have most of her teeth extracted, having a mouth inflammation.   She could be an older cat.    But who cares anyhow?  Not I.   I really love her.  She came from a horrible situation.

I love my Christmas tree so much.   It lost another string of lights, due to the kittens rambunctious destruction.   That's life with cats!



11 comments:

  1. You are sooooo busy - and productive. Well done though I can understand just how tired you are. Christmas lights/trees and cats are NOT a happy combination. I am v glad you are enjoying your tree though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoy being busy and getting things done. But soon I will enjoy doing nothing, in fact most of next week I will be doing a big fat nothing.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like things are going pretty well at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strangely, yes. Should I be worried?

      Delete
  3. I can't keep up. So many cats you're are getting fixed! Your tree is so festive! I see why you love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't even try. I don't even know where I'm at currently, lol, head spinning. Lot of work this week. I have nine in my garage going up to FCCO tomorrow, in fact. But almost done with all appointments for this month. Just this trip tomorrow with these 9, then three measly appointments Monday and done for the month.

      Delete
  4. Very pretty Christmas lights. Muffy has great facial expressions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muffy's a nutcase, very dramatic and fun, occasionally loving. Not that often.

      Delete
  5. You do such good works. As always, thank you and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hissy spitters is a great description! Thanks for doing what you do.

    ReplyDelete

The Gills Landing Colony Saga

 I'd like to say I'm done with that large colony that the city of Lebanon doesn't want anyone to feed anymore, after the cats ha...