Friday, October 07, 2022

The Change

 Fall is here and with it the changes.

Decidious trees are turning color.

Mornings bring dew and sometimes fog.

The sun, when out, comes slanted, glaring into windshields from different angles than in the summer.

And yet......it may get to the mid 80's this weekend.

This morning I woke with a jolt, thinking what was that. I thought one of my cats had jumped onto my chest.  Not unusual.   Then I thought something had gone on with the heat pump.

I dismissed my wonderings and got online only to find there was a 4.4 earthquake out near Sweet Home.  Is that what woke me, I wondered.   One Portland station aired several phone interviews with Lacomb folk who felt it.   It hit very near Lacomb, which is north and east of Lebanon.    I thought it was very exciting to hear Lacomb people on a Portland news station.  I liked it.

Foggy morning


The pool is put away.  Yesterday I changed my car oil and cleaned more of the foam mats I had under the pool and placed them back in the garage on the floor for the winter.   They add a bit of insulation to the cold cement garage floor.  

The cat round up for Monday should be relatively easy.  Ha, I say that now.   Four more from the RV park in Foster will go.  Plus a Sweet Home stray girl cat, who gets a home if she's fixed/vaccinated.   And then more from the RV park for the next and last appointments for the month.   I've gotten two more contacts about two more colonies, one of about 15 cats and the other, not sure how many and there are not enough appointments to get them done in timely fashion.  It's a frustrating reality.

I still have my outside chair out, for nights.  I like to sit out nights and look at the stars.  Behind my chair, in the photo, are bags of cat litter.  I panicked when my supplier said his supplier warned him of a significant price increase this month and had him bring more, at the lower price.   I didn't know if I should put that on myself financially, to get more when its cheaper, but its suffer now or suffer much more later.


I worry over providing for the cats here.  Prices are outrageous.

I've been cleaning out the garage too, getting it ready for winter.  I have another chair in there for reading and for Gigi, although she is not doing well currently, might be suffering hairballs.  You might see my old gear, hanging in the background.  So far I have a picker upper, some crutches I have had for ages, a walker and a cane.  I got the picker upper to use to pull items out of a cage containing wild cats awaiting surgery.  It works well for that.  But, I keep it in my old gear corner anyhow.  The walker is crap compared to current walkers with large wheels and seats.  I found that out when helping the Bird Lady.  A neighbor of hers found one with large wheels and a seat, that even has storage under the seat at a garage sale for her and its so much better than the tiny wheeled one like someone gave me (and I never used) after my knee injury.


I had an unused storage container and made it quickly into an outdoor cat house for a Lebanon woman who wanted one for an older stray who was recently fixed.


The only shows I watch on TV now are Masked Singer, for its energy and the songs, Hells Kitchen, Master Chef and Survivor.  The rest of anything I watch, which hasn't been much lately, I do online or stream.    By fall, my antenna only brings in a handful of channels.  When I was cat sitting last weekend, the sisters said I could watch TV while there and they had a zillion channels of all kinds.  The kitty didn't like me to leave.  She'd panic when I started to leave, which made me feel guilty, so I did watch a lot of TV, while playing with her, or while she sat on my lap.  She is such a nice cat.

I have to do a bunch of other chores in preparation for colder wetter weather today.  And then I need to work on finding a lot more books to keep me entertained for winter.  I've read almost everything I had here, including the almost three dozen crime mystery books in that bag my friend gave me that a friend of hers didn't want.  Reading one book is like watching a TV show.  Only somehow better.

  


8 comments:

  1. That is a lot of cat litter. An essential. It might have hurt to buy so much now, but you will definitely be better off later for doing it.
    Good luck with this week's round up. I hope it IS easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wood pellet fuel actually, that I use as cat litter. Much cheaper than cat litter and doesn't send the dust into the air cat litter does. I can't do that litter dust. Yes I hope this week's round up is easy, compared to last weeks at least.

      Delete
  2. When I hear thuds, I automatically think earthquake. But I'm in SoCal, so that's natural. I have an app that lets me know where the earthquake near me was. Did you know there's also an app that you point at the sky and it tells you what planets are up there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's the name of that star app? I am going to sign up for the earthquake app also. The Sweet Home quake was 4.4 and the shakeup app kicks in at 4.5.

      Delete
  3. The vine growing on the gate in the fog picture makes it so pretty. Have you thought about checking out e-books on your computer from the library? That would give you a big selection and you wouldn't have to worry about getting there or returning a physical book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's not actually a real vine, it's fake, to provide privacy. I don't want to read at my desk. I read in bed, on my back, with my cats on top of me and sometimes drop the book when I fall asleep. I like the feel of real books, tried a kindle, hated it, the light drove me nuts plus keeping it charged and the cats from peeing on it, issues here.

      Delete
  4. We're slowly getting ready for winter.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish things weren't so tough. ~hugs~ You deserve all the best, my dear.

    ReplyDelete

Back to 7-11

 I already have 3 cats here, waiting for placement from 7-11, with Silverton Cat Rescue barn cat program. The two girls--Eleven and Petunia,...