Monday, May 30, 2022

Furniture

Dryer timer fix (temporary)


I got my dryer timer working.   I used a threaded lever and Gorilla super glue and so far its holding.  Hurray!  The below video is the sound of a working dryer!



 I've never had furniture.  

At first, when I moved here, I got a couple free couches off craigslist but they were kind of stinky.  The cats marked them since they stunk already.  To get rid of them, I took them apart piece by piece, so they'd fit, bit at a time, into the trash.  I recycled any metal parts.  They're not much to a couch I discovered in dismantling them.

Since I got rid of the craigslist couches, I've used plastic lawn chairs or zero gravity lawn chairs as furniture.  They worked fine until one plastic recliner, brittle from age, broke beneath me and caused me some unpleasant cuts.

My brothers got me a futon a couple years back.  Unfortunately its too short for me to lay on without my legs sticking out over an end and rather uncomfortable for sitting.   

A few months back I splurged at Big Lots when I found a recliner already marked down.  I'd wandered in during a 20% off sale too.  The price was unbelievable.  I got it.   It has no electrics in it and not even a bar to recline it with.   I figured it might last longer if it was simpler.  I've loved it. With my bad back and knees and getting old, I wanted to have a chair other than the lawn chair, to be easy on my back in the evenings when I settle in.

Yesterday I moved the futon out to the garage.  Gigi, the neighbors cat who likes to pretend she's my cat, will love it.   Folks who come here, usually with cats to drop off to be fixed and chat awhile, can have a place to sit in my garage on it too.


Also I went to another Big Lots sale.   Some furniture was 50% off.   I was looking for a side table and lamp, to go by the recliner.  At first the clerk could not find any side tables on sale and I said 'thanks" and wandered off.  Then he came running after me with a box and said he'd found one on the sale.  It was a small box and I knew there'd be the job of putting it together but I was happy.  It was darn cheap.  He also found a lamp on the 50% off sale.  There are no lights in my living room and I use a flashlight evenings if I read in the living room, or a headlamp.

Now I feel ever so wealthy.   

Took me several hours to put the side table together.  A zillion tiny little parts but I kind of enjoyed doing it.


I'm very very happy with this set up.  

10 comments:

  1. That's a nice little seating area. I was surprised to find all the furniture at Big Lots. Next time I'm in the market...

    Yay on the dryer! I'm glad you found a solution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so affordable there, but when they have the 20% or 50% off sales, omg. Next sale they have, I will be getting an area rug. A small one. Lots of times people return furniture for small reasons, and then its discounted a lot. I watch for that too. Thanks on the dryer, oh its huge to have it running again. First thing I did was dry everything hanging all over here.

      Delete
  2. A BIG hooray for not having the house festooned with wet washing. I am not at all surprised you got it working. Your determination is amazing.
    And I love that you have a comfortable area to settle down in the evenings now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh its so nice to not have laundry hanging everywhere and adding humidity.

      Delete
  3. I KNEW you'd find a way to fix the dryer!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:29 PM

    I knew you would work the dryer out. You are nicely set up for lounging around with a good book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know me well, Andrew! Yes, set up for lounging around now. Not that I will.

      Delete
  5. A working dryer. I think we should call you MacIver instead of Strayer. :) I love your new lamp and chair. How nice it will be to take a nap in your chair or read a book at night without a flashlight. I have shopped for furniture at Big Lots before and the you can find some good, inexpensive stuff in the markdown section.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, then mark down plus 20 or 50% off sale, and that's a winner. I love having my dryer working again.

      Delete

End of Warmth

 We had some nice days.   But the heat is gone. We'll be in the 60's again for awhile, with perhaps some drizzle. I love the heat.  ...