Saturday, October 14, 2023

RIP Kokoro

 

Kokoro on the left

I heard from my friend in Eugene, who took in Kokoro 13 years ago, that she passed away in September.  She said she remained wild all her life and she could only pet her in the end, as is often the case, like with so many here.  

I don't like to remember that horror of that trailer park outside Lebanon and trying to get the cats fixed there so many years ago.   One time, as I was leaving, tenants mobbed my car, angry because I wasn't hauling them all away.  I had to call the owner, and tell the tenants I was on the phone with the owner, to get them to back off.

I was just a lone volunteer, trying to get them fixed, save as many as I could.   None of them were helping and these were the same people who caused the problem by not fixing their cats.  

I met Kokoro when she was a young mother, frantically moving her kittens yard to yard, trailer to trailer. I'd been there before.  She seemed to know my car and made a decision.  She began to deposit her kittens one by one, beside my car.  She was giving them over to me.  Her action broke my heart for her.   When I told my friends about it, Sue said she'd take her.  I went back and trapped her and met Susan in a parking lot in Brownsville and that was the last I ever saw Kokoro.   

But inside I felt a huge relief for her.  She was safe and would be to the end of her days.   I'd given her kittens to a rescue.  

I love the photo Susan sent me of her and her best friend, another feral who has also passed.  

Rest in Peace Kokoro.  

15 comments:

  1. What a lovely photo of two cats living their best life thanks to caring humans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were living their best lives.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like after the initial horror, she had a good life. As did her kittens. That's all you can do. And that trailer park sounds awful. Of course they wouldn't take responsibility for how they screwed it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rest in peace Kororo indeed. A peace that you found for her, as you have done for so many. Thank you. That she gave her kittens to you was a HUGE expression of trust. Trust that you deserved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember how frantic she was, trying to find them a safe place, running with one, this way and that, then saw me, in my car, and settled on what to do.

      Delete
  4. RIP Kokoro. Another wonderful story about the important work you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was such a good frantic mother way way back when I met her.

      Delete
  5. I got chills reading about her bringing over her kittens. What a beautiful story. I'm glad she and her babies got better lives. ~hugs~ Now, if we could just TNR people like the mob you encountered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of those moments that is both beautiful and heart wrenching. Yes, you are right, many people and society would benefit from a little (or a lot) of human TNR.

      Delete
  6. Your interest in my snake encounter inspired me to actually post on Youtube. Unbelievably, I didn't realize my stupidity and filmed for over a minute and a half! Thanks for all you do, again, and I hope you enjoy...

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3M47MhrczXY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the link!

      Delete
    2. You are most welcome. Take care, my dear.

      Delete
  7. It is a lovely photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan took that. Her best friend has a story too. He'd been hit by a car, leg dangling, was a mess, crawled into Susan's yard. She helped him. His leg had to be amputated. He was feral too and he and Kokoro bonded. He died before she did, but both had very good lives and loved each other.

      Delete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...