Friday, November 26, 2021

Vegetarians Eat

 I went to my brothers for Thanksgiving, another day trip.

My brothers family is vegetarian.  They belong to a religion that encourages vegetarianism for health reasons.  I like to eat vegetarian.   My brother and his wife are both excellent cooks.  Chefs I should say.

I tried to change my oil in the car before I went.  It hasn't been changed since that mechanic did it 9 months ago.  The oil pan plug was so tight, I could not break it loose, however.   I changed the air filter, at least.  When I got to my brothers, he broke the pan bolt loose for me, then tightened it again, but not tight like it was before.   So that tomorrow I can change my oil.  I've never before had trouble loosening the pan bolt. But then I've never had a shop change oil before either and they must tighten them much tighter than I do.  I just have crescent wrench but I knew my brother had good wrenches and he did, so that was good timing.    My brother's sister in law looked at me quizically and said "You change your own oil?"  Of course I do.  It saves so much money and usually takes only a few minutes!  I thought everyone must.

I arrived down at my brothers about 1:00 p.m.  We ate at 2:00.  The mashed potatoes were excellent.  I mixed them into the salad and the sliced yams.  I always do mix up everything with mashed potatoes.  There was pie for dessert.  But the good thing was I didn't eat so much I was uncomfortable which can happen on days like yesterday.  I really love the snack food she had out.  On toothpicks she had skewered a cherry tomato, a basil leaf and finally, a mozzarella cheese ball. They were drizzled with a glaze then.  Delicious!  She also had a small cake of honeycomb honey.  That was a treat!  I smeared a few chunks onto a cracker.     

I fell asleep in a chair later.   My brothers son and his wife were there with her mother and their baby. The baby began walking like a champ that very day, just suddenly.  Now their lives will be complicated!  My brother's wife's sister was there too with their dad who their mom met and married long after the kids were older.

All of those folks left fairly fast after dinner, leaving my brother and his wife plus myself, all of whom began to nap in chairs.  Occasionally my brother would wake and flip channels.  We finally woke enough to settle on a movie.  

Free Guy was the movie we chose.  I loved it, although I dozed a bit through some of it too.

Once it was over, I decided to spend the night and went up to their spare bedroom.  But after the long nap, I wasn't very tired.  They were, however, and were quickly asleep in their room.   I tried to sleep for about an hour, before deciding to just drive home, rather than try to be quiet.    I couldn't rouse them to even tell them I was going.   I left about 10:30 p.m.

It was a nice drive home.  It began with clear skies.   I could see the stars and the big huge almost full moon.  Then I encountered fog, at times very thick fog.   And once north of Eugene, pouring rain, coming down in sheets so hard and fast I had to slow way down the rest of the way home.

I love night driving.  There were so few cars it was ultra  pleasant.   Nobody tail gating me at 60 mph on highway 42.  Or anywhere else.   What's not to like about night driving!   I got home at 2:00 a.m., cleaned litter boxes and went to bed and slept til almost noon today.  I'm thinking next time I go to the coast clinic, I'll just night drive there.   And back.   It's so much easier and less stressful.

I took a bag of dry cat food to a lady in Lebanon and then on to Sweet Home with more dry cat food to deliver.   This weekend I'll try to catch 5 cats at a new colony.  A lady involved, but not the feeder, had procured five spots for Monday, for some of the cats in this colony.  But then she and her husband moved, and couldn't do it, so she gave the spots to me, if they'd be used on the colony.   Yeah, sure, of course I'll get five in if I can.  I drove by Wednesday and saw some of them, waiting for their feeder.  They have several feeders.



10 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:51 PM

    I'm pleased you had a nice family time at Thanksgiving. It is probably a good day to not be alone, like Christmas Day here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so very glad to hear that you had some family time at Thanksgiving. The meal sounded great too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you enjoyed this visit. ~hugs~ Here, deer crossing the roads is a hazard now. They might be out during daytime but are at least easier to spot. Stay safe and best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, here too, on the deer. Elk also, an even bigger hazard. And mule deer, also large. So that can be a downside of night travel.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like a pleasant Thanksgiving and fun getting to see a baby walking for the first time. I'm glad you were able to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was amazing that she just suddenly seemed to get it, how to walk, then there was no stopping her.

      Delete

Green Peter Drawdown Video

  A video made about the Green Peter reservoir drawdown.  Will it help at all?   I don't know.