Friday, November 20, 2020

 Oregon counted over 1200 new corona cases yesterday alone, along with 20 deaths.

Meanwhile low level wanna be famous right wing politicians attempt to garner attention by defiantly proclaiming how they will defy anti gathering and other rules because nobody can tell them what to do.  Not in America.  Oh brother.  Like tantruming kids. "I don't want to and you can't make me." 

It's tiring.

I suppose we can only hope for the vaccine here.  One economist said "offer people $1000 to get the vaccine."  That's because of America's extremely high anti vax numbers.   Greed outweighs conspiracy beliefs though here.  So, yeah, $1000 bucks will turn off the anti vaxxer tantrum posts really fast and they'll be in line too.  Do we actually have American values anymore?   

I had to be somewhere yesterday at 9 and time got away from me.  I was late getting into the shower and got dressed without much ado.  Once outside, I looked down and realized I'd made a slight dressing error.


I was too late to go back inside and change though, so I went with it.  It's a fashion statement!

The bird lady had found the Gleanors had lots of big boxes of litter and wanted me to go up with her to get some.  We'd be in our own cars.

In Sweet Home, my friend and I, each in our own cars, stopped at the A&W Drive In.  I've gone to these since I was a kid, although they're hard to find now.  All the parking spaces have a menu screen equipped with a two way talk button. They bring your order out on a tray that hangs from your car window.  You'd be sure to have it up a few inches for the tray.  If you bought a rootbeer float, which they are famous for, the mug would be frosty from the freezer.  Right now, though, its all disposable cups.

I got a rootbeer float yesterday and it was good as ever.  A&W Drive In has no issues at all with the covid closures, since you don't  need to go inside anyhow.  I think Sonic now operates drive ins like this. But there will never be anything like A&W rootbeer floats in frosty glass mugs at the drive in.


The CDC is warning about Thanksgiving becoming a super spreader US holiday this year.  I know lots of people intend to ignore the warnings.   Some have gone proudly public over their plans.  I'll be here at home as usual.  I am making roasted yams with hot honey butter sauce and lime.  I am also making a slightly varied verson of broccoli/cheese/rice casserole, that is extremely easy.   I am going to make a couple small apple strawberry tarts for dessert and one more dish that I haven't decided on yet.  It will be fun!  I may make a lentil potato curry over Jasmine rice for the main dish, if I can find some curry paste.

The cats like to bird watch.  The birds are back out after days of pouring rain.  I sprinkle some bird seed outside the windows to attract birds close in, for the house cats to enjoy watching.


The upper bunk of my bedroom is occupied generally by several older cats who have been friends for years and years.


Sam is in the foreground.  My beloved crazy boy has slowed down drastically in the last six months.  His age is catching up to him.  Either side of him are a pair of now elderly sisters.  Tugs is the tiny tiny torti, like a compact mini cat, tough as nails and just as loving, but only to me.  Mums, her muted torti sister is nicer to other cats but not friendly to me.  She adores Sam, however.  Tugs' favorite friends are Starry the fat pillow torti and Slurpy, who used to be best friends with Miss Daisy.  Tugs and Mums, the  elderly torti sisters, are not fond of one another.

Here is Starry.  I call her the fat pillow torti.  She likes my bed pillows, and always joins me at night, but with her butt to my face, spread out across one of the three pillows.  But somehow she edges me off at least another within 20 minutes.  Sometimes, I wake up sprawled sideways on the bed and Starry is laid out across all three of my pillows.  How does she do that?   Fricking pillow theif.


I haven't made my bed yet this morning.

Slinko was looking lovely this foggy morning.

And finally, out in the frosty cat yard, Arrow looks my way.   He's quite feral and usually does not come in the house, although he could anytime he wants, through the runs.  


When the birch tree comes down in January, I will build a new fence along the back, connect it forward to the side fences of the cat yard, over top it with something, then take out, in my time, the back fence of the current cat yard.  Thus they will gain, in the cat yard, 200 square feet more of space, at least.








14 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear that your numbers are climbing - and fear that they will climb even higher after Thanksgiving.
    Your dinner sounds delicious and I do love your cats.
    And yes, I am very familiar with bed hogs. I have woken up more than once precariously balanced on the very edge of the bed while Jazz stretches luxuriously diagonally across most of the bed.
    Please stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our numbers are up here and I expect they'll go up more after Thanksgiving if for no other reason than kids are coming home from college. We'll just continue to lay low and wait for all of this to pass in a year or two (hopefully sooner, but I don't want to get my hopes up.)

    I enjoyed seeing all of your cats. Looks like an interesting group.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just waiting for the vaccine. I figure that's the best hope.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous2:19 PM

    You aren't the first person to wear odd shoes as a fashion statement. Funny about the pillow thief.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not the first person? Darn it.

      Delete
  4. Your Thanksgiving dinner sounds delightful, and will be much healthier than most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it turns out, haven't made two of the dishes before. But its fun to try new things.

      Delete
  5. You are such a wonderful kitty caregiver. ~hugs~ Every photo made me smile, though it's always sad when they start showing their age. Take care, my dear, and I'm glad you got to enjoy a root beer float. I don't recall when I last drank one, but it was homemade with sugar free ice cream and diet root beer. Sacreligious I know, but still pretty good. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those floats are a little extravagant, on the sugar/fat side. Nice to enjoy every now and then. I love my cats and currently with Covid taking its toll on everybody, my only living contacts. So I hug them a lot in these times.

      Delete
  6. I have to wonder why some people are so stupid and traveling this Thanksgiving. Hubby and I are staying put. It been ages since I been A&W rootbeer.
    Stay Safe and Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't get the A&W floats except at the drive in one up in Sweet Home because they don't taste the same for some reason, to me, if I go inside to get one. That's crazy I know.

      Delete
  7. The cats on your blog cheer me up

    ReplyDelete

Green Peter Drawdown Video

  A video made about the Green Peter reservoir drawdown.  Will it help at all?   I don't know.