Thursday, October 15, 2020

Four Fixed

 I took those six kittens up to meet Carma Tuesday morning from the big new Lebanon colony.

Tuesday evening I was back at the colony and quickly (five minutes) trapped four, for my appointments the next day at the McMinnville clinic.

I got the big orange boy, who is very tame but also skinny and a bully.  I named him Thompson.

I got a brown tabby girl I named Sweden and a gray tabby tux girl I named Smithie and also a muted calico teen I named Calypso.

They were fixed yesterday.

I returned them this morning and took up the drop trap, to set up, so they could feed under it.  It's Saturday morning I need to trap 16 more there, to take to the FCCO Sunday.

My knee was on fire yesterday and today.  I had messaged the joint clinic doctor I'd seen two weeks ago a few days ago, telling him the relief I got from the visit with him and shot vanished after 8 days.  Meaning it was probably only the removal of fluid from my knee that was helpful.   I got a message back yesterday, that he was referring me to a knee surgeon in their practise, that i might need surgery.  

He said the office would call me.  

The Millersburg woman trapped another of her neighbors cats, number 8, and that one will be fixed tomorrow in Salem.  I also picked up two Waterloo boys and two more from the Sweet Home RV park to round out the five, who will get fixed tomorrow. 

Here are photos of the four fixed Wednesday up in McMinnville.  Costs $45 per cat there, for a feral package that includes spay or neuter, shots, flea treatment and droncit injection for tapeworms.

It's a nonprofit clinic.

It's an hours drive one way, but that's life in the endless quest to fix cats and find affordable spay neuter.  It's a pleasant drive through the country, not a freeway drive, like it will be Sunday that is not pleasant in the least.

Calypso, muted calico teen, fixed Wednesday.

Sweden, one of the mom cats, fixed Wednesday

Smithie, another adult female, fixed Wednesday

Thompson, the tame buff boy fixed.  He had a swollen nose because he banged it on the trap.

I'll be glad when this election is over.   I stocked up on some items like cat food in case there's more violence.  Trump likes violence and so do many of his supporters.  So...you never know.   

The city councilor that dislikes cats and wanted to entertain a town hall with some new to Albany lady who also hates cats and wants to "dispose of" all outside cats, is running for Mayor.  Covid shut down that town hall, so it never happened.  Thank goodness.  But he's running for mayor and that sends chills down my spine, for the cats of Albany and for my future here, since the new in town lady suggested the outside allowed cats could be rounded up and killed at the expense of cat owners who would pay yearly hefty license fees.

It would be too much for me to live in a town that kills its cats and charges cat lovers to do it.  This would be too heavy on my soul, turn life joyless and fill me with constant sorrow.

Also I couldn't afford it.  License fees mean a yearly visit to a local vet to get one, so not only is there the license fee, but the outrageous office call charge too.   It would mean moving, possibly homelessness and finding homes for my cats, many of whom came to be here as a result of requests by the city for help with this or that cat situation.  That the same city would now make it unbearable financially to survive for housing those same cats responsibly inside, too much to bear. I fear this man who is running for mayor, in other words.   The fact he also pretended to be friendly with a woman whose neighbor was complaining she fed cats, so that she thought he was her friend, then blasted her in a newspaper article about cat problems, even though I'd already solved that one for her and the cats (not him) and quickly, I feel shows character issues.  

Anyhow, this election locally alone could be big trouble for my future.  I have a terrible unease inside. 

8 comments:

  1. Thompson gave his nose a pretty solid whack didn't he.
    Hooray for getting four more fixed. Sigh at the huge numbers still to be done.
    I do hope that there is an alternative other than surgery for you. So much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he did whack his nose good. He was so full of worms too, just desperately hungry. He should feel better soon and put on some weight.

      Delete
  2. Anonymous11:45 PM

    That is interesting that there is a feral cat package offered and it seems to include all the right things for a very cheap price. I was listening to an orthopaedic? surgeon speak in a podcast and he said if you x-ray anyone's knee when they are over a certain age it will look like crap. He went on to say unless there was something severely wrong, and as with backs, surgery should be the absolute last resort. Just something to keep in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I can't live like this though, in pain all the time.

      Delete
  3. Maybe the knee surgeon will finally give you hope that your knee can get better. Surgery is not to be sneezed at, but it may be time. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know, L and L, but I can't live this way.

      Delete
  4. We will be purraying that the cat-hating mayoral candidate gets his butt whipped

    ReplyDelete

End of Warmth

 We had some nice days.   But the heat is gone. We'll be in the 60's again for awhile, with perhaps some drizzle. I love the heat.  ...