Thursday, July 16, 2020

How to Proceed

How does one proceed in the age of coronavirus?

I mean with cat fixing.   There are so few spay neuter spots available its pathetic.

I have several colonies I work, do a couple one place, a couple another place, but never complete them.  I'm targeting females for now is why, and have to forget teenagers too.

I was told of another large group out beyond Waterloo in the boondocks.   I finally connected with a tenant there.  It's a bit of a homeless camp I'd say.   She thought there were as many as 18 kittens but didn't know, as predators would pick them off routinely.  She claimed there's a cougar they see every night across the field who sometimes sleeps in the old boat.

Not good, I thought.  But I went out there, not really intending to get any of the kittens, just to check it out.  In the end though I grabbed five of the tamest easiest to grab kittens.
The seven today were six girls and one boy.  Of the two orange tabbies, only one of them was a boy and he was the only boy of the seven.  The kittens are very healthy.  Three of the ones I took today were a bit hissy. The rest were tame.

A little torbi


Both these girls are delightful

My car barely had made it up the steep rough wash boarded gravel road.  Since having the clutch replaced, it won't go into first gear now, unless I'm completely stopped.   I don't know why.  I'm loath to return to that shop, really.  I have my reasons.

It's hot here now, so any cat catching or kitten grabbing must be done early morning.  The heat lingers is why, into the night, but usually is gone by 11 p.m.

So I got five on Wednesday and right away almost, Animal Rescue and Care Fund, in Portland, said they'd take them, bring them up.  So I did.  Wednesday afternoon.    They were only here with me maybe two hours.   Two delightful girls, a torti and a torbi, plus three boys---two orange tabbies and a gray tabby.   All of them were healthy and tame and I could hand pick them up from the front porch old chair and in the grass beside the mobile home.  That wasn't so bad.


These two orange tabby boys, plus the torti darling kitten and the torbi kitten were among the five I took to ARCF.  The fifth was a gray tabby short hair boy kitten.

Lady living there in a fifth wheels told me to come back that night about 8, to get more.  So I did.  Well I tried.  She messages me when I'm like five minutes out telling me not to come, wasn't a good time.  I was upset over that.

But I went back this morning and hand grabbed four more, then trapped three other kittens, after feeding the adults, most of them girls, tons of wet food to keep them happy.  It was hot, broiling really, yellow jackets swarmed the wet cat food, same old, you know.   But I got all the kittens I could find.  I know there were supposed to be more, but  the predator problem out there is quite significant.

I set them up in the cage in the living room and took a nap.  I met Karen this evening up in Keizer north of Salem and handed them off in a parking lot.  That probably sounds a little shady. 

I sure wish I could figure a way to get all 12 adults I saw up there fixed immediately.  I sure hate the lack of spay neuter spots available, preventing me from doing just that.  I don't like not just getting something done right now, solving a problem that needs solved.  But I don't have the tools to do it.  No affordable open spay neuter.  Darn it anyhow.

At least 12 kittens are getting fixed, up in Portland, and then new homes.  That's something.



10 comments:

  1. !2 kittens fixed and rehomed is a BIG something. I know that you would like to fix the entire problem but while you often achieve the impossible, miracles may be asking a little much.
    Huge thanks for what you do achieve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks EC, I am very happy about the 12 getting on to new lives and being fixed first. I'll figure something out for getting the adults fixed. I do believe in miracles, but know they're human made, with work.

      Delete
  2. Twelve kittens getting fixed is indeed something even if it is frustrating that you didn't get more. These are different times and you can only do what you can do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah, no place to get adults fixed, but I'm happy the kittens, at least these, won't be eaten by hawks, owls, cougars and bobcats.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous7:53 PM

    The armchair footrest looks like it is made for dozing kitties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a couch on the mobile home back deck too. I discovered they were feeding back there too and when I went to look, saw a streak of black. I went up on the deck and saw a big bubble in the back of the couch. I thought it was probably a group of kittens and reached down to feel it through the couch material. It was one huge black male cat, who struggled out of the back of the couch and took off.

      Delete
  4. New homes...hey that something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, better than trying to avoid predators, big ones, out where they were. I hope the best for all 12!

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry for these frustrations. ~hugs~ I hope you can find a car repair shop where you feel comfortable, at least. Take care, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm on it. I look to friends with old cars and car troubles for recommendations.

      Delete

Sunday

 Sunday I was so slow getting going after the late night Saturday. But after cleaning litterboxes, giving KMR to kittens, feeding the ferals...