Sunday, July 19, 2020

Life Goes On

Life goes on even though things are quite strange.

Corona virus cases continue to rise exponentially in the US.  In Oregon, they are also going up, but not like other places.  We get 300 or 400 more cases a day, whereas Florida, California, Arizona--their cases go up by the thousands everyday.  The rise in Oregon cases is due to social gatherings, I'm told.  Probably like this one in Lebanon, Oregon.....

Saturday, July 18, 2020 at 12 PM – 4 PM

2665 S Santiam Hwy, Lebanon, Oregon 97355

Public · Hosted by Stop The Abuse - Recall Kate Brown and Linn County for the Recall of Kate Brown


Come join us celebrate freedom!
There will be food trucks, swag for sale, giveaways and a drive thru style recall signing event.
Chief Petitioner Bill Currier will be there.
KRKT will be broadcasting live.

See Less

Party

Ah well.  Darwinism at its best.

I have a Sweet Home friend, know only through trapping cats for her, who, when she calls, only goes on and on, about conspiracy theories galore, including that the virus is pretty much a hoax, masks, even vaccines, how deadly they are, although she allows the rescue group she fosters for to vaccinate her foster kittens, and realizes if they don't get vaccinated they can die of distemper, and quickly.  I don't get it, quite frankly.

I called my old Corvallis friend and finally got an answer.  She has gone into basic hibernation, really.  She rarely goes out, sleeps most of the time, and just wants the coronavirus to go away.  HOwever, being in a high risk group, she is extremely cautious and doesn't want to catch it and realizes the danger if she does.  Which is why she basically stays home now. I haven't seen her in a long time.

I don't see anyone either, unless out trapping, which is rare and the people I see then I don't know.   I did get 8 spots in total for this week.  Three are Wednesday and clear up at the McMinnville clinic where my friend volunteers.  She wasn't feeling well Friday when I talked to her on the phone and was worried she had caught the virus somewhere.  If she catches it, the clinic closes, she said, so she was worried.  But I would have heard by now if she was still sick, so I assume the best.  I was happy to get three appointments Wednesday there.  I don't mind the drive since I have really nothing else to do and its a pleasant drive.  This time I'm stopping at one of the farm stands I pass on the way selling berries and vegetables.

I have just three of the Fungi kittens left and I think their ringworm is completely gone.  Now I have to find somewhere for them where they can get fixed and into homes.

Amanita, the fourth, already went to a home with a friend of mine who will get her fixed herself.

Shroom, the boy

Truffles and Chanterelle, the girls






I have even more volunteer sunflowers growing in cracks and among the catnip plants I let flower, for the bees.  They're all from dropped bird seed.




I am not a gardener.  I don't have a green thumb and don't like gardening.  

The fellow TNR cat trapper Karen L, who lives just outside Jefferson, had a sudden massive stroke and died later in the hospital last week.   I didn't know her well but I knew her a long long time.  She used to, along with her sisters, bring lots of cats to mobile FCCO clinics, when those went on, over the years.   She had a beautiful property, as she was a talented gardener, and had converted her husband's huge shop into a holding center for feral cats before they were placed, by Meow Village, as barn cats.  It was a great set up.   I was touched that Meow Village went and trapped the four cats she cared for out in Stayton, so they would not go hungry after she passed.  They'll end up in a barn home.  I thought it was wonderful they did not forget those cats.

A lot of my really old cats seem like on the verge of catastrophic events they're getting so tottery and skinny.  Comet is one of them.  He's somewhere over 15 now.  Tugs, Shady, Mops, Buffy, Soloman, Cougie and Alexi, Brambles, Tweetie and Button are all at that stage now.  I wonder which one will go first sometimes.  Over half my cats are at end of life stage now.  By Christmas I will probably lose most of the above mentioned kitties . They're just so elderly.

Here's my fat torti Starry.  She sleeps on my pillow every night with her butt in my face.  And she farts.  Great, huh?  And somehow in the night, she usually takes over all three of my pillows and I wind up cross ways in bed.   



9 comments:

  1. I was in a Facebook group that made fun of screenshots of crazy anti vaxxer posts. One posted that ever since her cat was vaccinated, the cat has been showing signs of autism. I’m not kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on clearing up the worm infestation! You do so much good. I hope things improve soon. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, actually ringworm, a fungus.

      Delete
  3. It is lovely that Meow Village got Karen's cats.
    Jazz is probably also slowly winding down. I watch, I wait and I am grateful for the time we have had.
    Sadly I do know about farting cats as well. Farts which could strip paint somedays.
    Stay well, stay safe.
    And thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've probably all encountered a farting cat at some point in our lives. I'm convinced Starry moves me off the pillows so she can have them, by farting in my face.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous3:45 PM

    The Fungi kittens look so sweet. "Darwinism at its best." You said it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What ever happened to the Darwin awards? I loved to read those. My life ambition became not to win one.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on clearing your fungi babies! Two of mine have had one clear test so they just need one more. So sorry to hear about your TNR pal Karen, blessed be and may she rest in peace.

    ReplyDelete

Dog Days Behind a 7-11

 I spent five or six hours Saturday night behind the 7-11 again, after unfixed cats there. Woohoo, what an exciting life I live.  Wow.  I be...