Friday, July 03, 2020

Happy 4th of July. Five More Local Cats Experience Freedom from Breeding (through surgical procedure)

I couldn't resist that contorted post title.

In that kind of a mood.

I got five more Sweet Home cats up being fixed today in Salem.   All are from the same place, for once, and they're all nice folks there, who care about the cats, which is nice for once too.

I returned Paris, the long hair black girl, to her Sweet Home colony, early yesterday morning, and then drove on out to release Sneaky Pete, the boy, at his colony.  While there, I set a kitten trap, hoping to nab that lone muted calico kitten, whom I had seen with Cinnamon.

Then I headed off to an RV park, the one where Sammy Sunbeam, the orange kitten, had come from, before I took him over to Heartland Humane, almost two weeks ago.  Two weeks ago torti Mouse was fixed, too, from this place, as was Bandit, a black male.

This time, I hoped to get more females, but I had no idea who was there, really.  I used a bottle under a trap door, to selectively trap, since Sammy's torti sisters would be caught over and over again.   In that manner I caught a a short hair orange tabby girl, then a big black boy.  After he was caught, several people in the park began to celebrate.  He's a fighter, big time, and spray marks and attacks or humps anything moving.
Coal is being fixed today

Ember is also being fixed

So then everybody got into catching another tame black male named Brindle.  He had been brawling with Coal, the first black male, the night before, rolling in the mud to do it, and was filthy.  The owner tried to stuff him into a live trap which did not work out well.  But later she got him into a massive size carrier.  That works!   So both these fighting boys are being fixed today.
Brindle is being fixed

Next I trapped the orange and white female, mother to the torti sisters and Sammy Sunbeam.  And lastly I caught a fuzzy black kitten that the owner wants, once fixed, to tame and have as her own.  If its a boy, his name will be Thatch and if a girl, her name will be Esmerelda.   That was my quota for the day so I went home then.
Cinder is being fixed today

Long hair black kitten, also being fixed today

 I never did catch the kitten out at the other colony but I tried.   I saw one of the fighting big black boys still needing fixed out there, too.  He was laying by the road in the grass.  A wild turkey mom with three chicks was trying to get by him and wasn't quite sure if it was safe or not.  He got up finally, yawned, and limped off right past that turkey and her kids.  He's badly beat up from fighting for months now.


10 comments:

  1. Well done. Again.
    And particularly on getting some of the brawling males. Goodness knows how many females they have impregnated in the past...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, thanks. I need to catch at least three more males out at the big colony. And the kitten. Then maybe I'm done but I never say that. Not there. More kittens will be crawling out of the woodwork no doubt. There were too many lactating females.

      Delete
  2. As Elephant said, good job especially getting those two males. They and everyone around them will be a lot happier once they get fixed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah. Nothing calms an area down like getting all the males fixed. They really draw attention to themselves, screeching and fighting and marking. An unfixed male has no friends.

      Delete
  3. They’re beautiful! I saw one cat roaming around the motel and then when I left, there was one around a gas station. Both were cute but wouldn’t come up to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job! And that encounter is fascinating, though heartbreaking under the circumstances. :( Be well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have brother in law in sweet home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have mentioned that. It's pretty trashy up there and lots of very poor people too who have really nothing. Lots of cats too.

      Delete

Ten Extras

 I have ten extra cats in my garage. Nine are in traps, just brought over from the Scravel colony.    They are almost all orange tabbies, wi...