Thursday, November 28, 2019

Happy Thanksgiving and Ten Fixed Cats Returned

Today is Thanksgiving when most people sit around the table and eat a turkey corpse and otherwise stuff themselves.

 Just being silly.

I had to get the ten cats in my garage back home this morning, Thanksgiving or not.  I'd gone up to Portland last night to pick them up from the lady I left them with the night before.  She takes them to the FCCO the next morning and picks them up and brings them to our meet up spot. 

I'd sat out there at the Egg Place to trap over six hours on Tuesday, with the temperature dropping and wind coming up.  When I'd arrived, at 11:00 a.m., I found food out everywhere.  What in the world.  So I had to really turn out the tricks to catch the ones I did catch.  I caught nine in the end.  I took up ten, however, since I already had three teens in the bathroom, but knew only one of those was tame enough for the Kitten Caboose ticket to a house cat home. 

There are two out there still needing caught to be fixed and four still in foster, two of those in my bathroom.  Only one of the two are tame enough to move on through the Kitten Caboose.  So the other will get fixed Monday at the Salem clinic and go back.  The other two are the two kittens still with a Portland foster.

So anyhow seven of the ten fixed yesterday are girls.  That's a lot of girls. 

This little boy was in my bathroom a couple of days but was a hard sell and I knew would not make the Kitten Caboose.  So he was fixed and went home today.

Brown tabby girl teen

Calico!

Gray and white girl. I didn't get a photo of her while in the trap. 
Gray male


Adult gray tabby female

Gray tabby on white female

Torbi teen

Muted torti teen, who also was briefly a bathroom guest, now fixed and returned

Orange and white male

Here are the boys in the bathroom, one very tame and just awaiting his departure date, which is end of next week, for the kitten caboose.  The other has been in there since Tuesday night, and probably not tame enough.

This buff boy is awesome, but he won't be here much longer.  He has a ticket to board.


The other, not so tame, but who knows

My own cats are lounging in the house now, with the weather outside colder, creating niche issues, as the cat yard cats try to come in messing up the regulars inside and their favorite haunts and sleep spots.

Largely they get along.  Most are so old they don't fight well anymore.  No energy for that.  Ha!

Rogue's favorite sleep place and play toy is the Chewy box.

He rarely leaves it.





Happy Thanksgiving!

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:49 PM

    Turkey corpse......I nearly sprayed my breakfast cereal over the keyboard. The buff boy cat looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! It comes from me, even when young, unable to keep from laughing, when we would have Thanksgiving dinner, big turkey out in the table, people saying prayers, and all I could imagine was a bunch of wolves, bloody dripping fangs, waiting to rip into that carcass.

      Delete
    2. Andrew, there's a traditional Thanksgiving obscenity here in which the president "pardons" an individual turkey, the implication being that all of those millions of turkeys that are slaughtered deserved it, but out of the goodness of our hearts, we American authorize our president to spare a single one. Of course, all those people who sit down to gorge on turkey corpses each year would surely take the position that just need to lighten up and join in the fun, as it were, but I remember the fact that native peoples expressed gratitude to the animals they killed, whereas modern people make a joke of their deaths.

      Delete
    3. Anonymous4:08 PM

      Ah yes Snowy, I had heard that before but forgotten it. As here, the native people got a whole lot more right that we white invaders did.

      Delete
  2. Well done.
    And Happy Thanksgiving.
    Jazz is elderly, but doesn't share well. He resents sharing with us and if we had another cat would do his best to claim everywhere for himself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know elderly, since I have literally a nursing home for cats going on here, with all the old as the hills gang. I see it all, just like with old people, some I know have dementia, like Buffy, who sometimes seems to suddenly see her own shadow and go bonkers. Anyhow, elderly cats, they're good though. I love them.

      Delete
  3. I have two elderly cats here and we love them dearly. The older they get the better lap cats they make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like even thinking about that, creates a photo in my mind, L and L, of two cats, once young and playful now seeking out your laps, content, purring. The stages of life.

      Delete
  4. I re-tape Chewy boxes (with the packing paper still inside, and cut a round hole in in one end for cats to come and go, and then cut a smaller hole in the other end for them to look through and stick their feet out in play.

    Peggy and I started fostering cats a month ago, and are now privileged to have three long-haired sibling kittens with short legs. Two are black girls and one is a gray boy with a ruff. I don't know how I'm going to bear it when they go. In fact, if Peggy would allow me to, I would keep them all, but then what would that do to my usefulness as a foster since if I had seven resident cats, would I dare risk taking in more fosters and perhaps keeping them as well?? But even if I didn't keep them all, would I be willing to care for seven resident cats plus some fosters...

    I was feeling so good about my volunteer work here until I visited your blog and was reminded of the enormous number of cats that go through your place every year--even every week. By comparison, it's as if I'm not an unselfish friend of the abandoned; I'm just indulging myself by playing with kittens that I'm not ultimately responsible for. I can but console myself with the thought that every little bit helps, but this doesn't stop me from wondering what separates you from me? We both love cats, so what is it about you that leads you to devote your everything to them, while I just devote however much time, work, and money I can easily spare? My cats are my family. I am with them nearly all day everyday, and I sit up in bed at night and read books about every facet of cats: care care, cat art, cat poetry, cat cartoons, cat novels, cat photography, cat folklore, cat mythology, how cats relate to other cats, etc. I care so much about cats that I can't imagine living without them, but you have devoted your everything to cats, and I'm greatly interested in how this affects your thoughts about cats in general and your relationship with your resident cats in particular. If I lived with as many cats as you, I think it might become a challenge for me in the manner of a parent who has fifteen children versus a parent who has three. Even with these foster kittens, I find myself spread thin when it comes to quality time with my resident cats, and so I find myself missing them even when they are right there at my feet.

    I thought about you yesterday and tried to telegraph good feelings your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing! I wish you all the best. ~hugs~ Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete

FCCO Trip on Half Decent Day

 Yesterday, early morning, I headed to FCCO with ten cats from the Scravel colony.   I don't get any records with the FCCO.  They are se...