Tuesday, December 03, 2019

Ten More Yesterday

Ten more local cats went to be fixed yesterday.

I sat out at a Lebanon trailer park much of Saturday.  I'd loaned her the drop trap to feed under and she had done that.   I got a lot of cats fixed there last June, all of the adults in fact, and we got out a load of kittens, 14 I think in all, in the end.  Many of the females when fixed turned out to be lactating but it was impossible to know who belonged to whom.

Later in the summer two fixed moms brought out a total of five more kittens, who by now are old enough to reproduce and needed caught and fixed.

I had a lot of help Saturday.



Sassy is an owned into everything Siamese girl there in the park.   She finally decided she had to be in my car, eat more, explore, then wanted out, then in, then out.

It was freezing Saturday.  My feet were half iced over sitting there without moving too long.  When I yanked the cord to drop the trap over two of the teens I wanted to catch, my frozen feet didn't immediately work, and I tripped over the sheet I was carrying to cover the drop trap.  Fortunately I caught myself with the drop trap itself.  A soft landing!

In the end I caught four of the five and the last one needing caught still was actually the tamest one of the five.  She was able to catch him the next morning.
Butterscotch, a boy

Cross Eye, a girl, with half length tail

FluffnNutter, a boy, a crypt orchid boy no less

Midnight, a girl

Tippy a girl

I still had the two Egg Place young boys in my bathroom.  The buff boy I call Squeaky is leaving tomorrow, to board the Kitten Caboose up at the FCCO.  He's very tame.  But the last one caught out there, the gray and white boy I call Wiggles, wouldn't tame down enough, so he went to be fixed.  I'll take him home today.
Wiggles of Egg Place

I went then to collect a tamish female someone at a Lebanon apartment complex says just came into her house and wouldn't leave.  But the orange kitty is really a neutered boy, I determined rapidly.  So I went next door and got a free roaming unfixed black tux boy named Zephr instead.
Zephr of Lebanon

We're down to about three needing fixed there I think, but I'm not sure.

I picked up two more females from the Albany rental where Dagwood, Cookie and Blondie came from.  Two others were fixed from there last week.  These are the last. 
Phoebe of Albany

Willow of Albany

Lastly, I was volunteered to take in a tame black male, in very poor shape, a Lebanon woman picked up from a house in Lebanon.   He was left on his own when his person died.  New home owners didn't want anything to do with him either, so he'd been on his own and was sickly.

I could see the lice when the couple brought him to my garage.  He also had a yellow orange tint to the inside of his ears, that were very moist inside.   They had no money to help him, but had tried anyhow after seeing his plight, and then desperately pleaded for help online.  They'd taken him to Safehaven who turned him away and to a vet clinic, asking for help for him, but had no money to pay for it so they turned him away too.

He drooled pus, was so skinny and dehydrated and I knew he likely was very ill but I took him to the clinic, having no other alternative, and they did not turn him away.  Meanwhile Portland people, who had seen the Lebanon couples posts about him, begging for help, were scrambling to find foster places for him in high hopes his life could be saved.

But the clinic vet called me later, to say he was likely in kidney failure, crawling in lice and had stomatitis through out his mouth and down his throat.   He was also FIV positive.  So Binx, the sweetheart boy, who had a hard time finding any help after his person died, himself left our world yesterday.

It was a Good Samaritan story really.   A young couple without money tries to help him out when no one else will. They're like way up there in my mind, like super heroes pretty much.  The best of humanity.  I wish there could have been a happy ending to Binx's story, that he could have lived and gone on to find a loving wonderful home for the remainder of his days.

 But he did find love.  Maybe it was only for two days, but he found kindness at his very end. 



8 comments:

  1. Binx found not only love but a gentler and kinder end that he would otherwise have had. Huge thanks to that couple and, as always, to you.
    Landing on the cat trap is a soft landing? I doubt that. I really doubt it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad I guess, over Binx. I'm a little sore over the driveway fiasco, getting my feet twisted up in that sheet, landing atop that trap, that had three cats under it. Drop traps are about 3 feet by three feet, so yes, a good target for a landing softer than cement. But the poor cats! I got it covered then transferred them out. They don't seem too traumatized. Maybe it was the catnip.

      Delete
  2. Another group of lucky cats. They all say thanks to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they probably do talk, not sure its thanks they share among one another.

      Delete
  3. Anonymous4:05 PM

    Good to hear about some nice and kind people. You've probably mentioned it before, and I know the fixed cats are usually ear tipped, but are they micro chipped too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. depends on the clinic, Andrew. Some clinic include only fixing and a rabies with the feral package. Some, like the Salem one, include the fixing, ear tips, flea treatment, vaccines and worming. The FCCO does not do worming. Heartland does tape worming but not round worming, but also chips even the ferals. My nonprofit probably has 1000 cats chipped to it. So my preference? I like the Salem clinic, because they get both round and tape wormed, along flea treatment and vaccines. If the vet thinks the cat needs antibiotics there, they get a long lasting injection and you can pay extra to have them tested for FIV/Felk, so its a great deal there I think. Second favorite is Heartland's feral package. Coming in last would be the FCCO because they don't get any worming, no antibiotics if needed, no chips, no possibility for testing either on ferals.

      Delete
  4. They’re beautiful

    ReplyDelete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...