Monday, October 14, 2019

So Long Charlie

I'll miss old Charlie plodding around the house, and politely asking to be on my lap.

But he will get so much more lap time with Kate.

I enjoyed Kate's visit very much.  She is so easy to be around.  I could be my quirky self and she didn't seem to even notice.

Before I picked Kate up to head north to Vancouver, I went to feed the farm colony cats.  I was slowed then stopped on the overpass though and saw that the problem was two young people chasing a dog.  Oh no, I thought, don't chase the dog.  You'll never catch him that way. The dog was white and small with a red harness on.

When the dog turned to come down past my car, I plopped an open can of cat food down on the road.  I thought he was going to come over for a moment, but then came the two young folk and off he ran.  They took the can of cat food.  I hope they caught their dog.

On the way back from feeding the farm colony cats, I saw a young fuzzy black tux sitting just off the road across from the seed warehouse on Kennel.  I'd seen another along there, hunting the ditch, before, but it was short hair, and then, in my trips back and forth, in days after, I saw him hunting the ditch farther and farther towards Grand Prairie and I still see him there, across from the housing.   I had pulled over, after seeing the fuzzy black tux, and finally just threw some wet food into the grass.  He'd run off a hundred feet by then.

The teens from Lebanon are so tame I had hoped to find somewhere they could go, and be adopted by loving people. I had gotten permission from the colony caretaker to try to find them a place.  Last minute, yesterday, Cats Meow Cat Rescue in Portland said they'd take them.  So I loaded them up too, and Charlie, then went and picked up Kate and off we went.

There was hardly any traffic for a change and we got to a Burger King in Portland off Martin Luther King Blvd., with Kate navigating, and went inside, to order food, while we waited for Karen of Cats Meow Cat Rescue.  I got the Beyond Burger, meatless, first time, and really enjoyed it.

Karen took all four teens.  I was very grateful.  Charlie had pooped and peed in his carrier so we cleaned that out.
Bad photo of the four teens, when they were briefly in my garage (one night).   There were three boys--one all black, one black tux and one black and white.  Then there was a tabby tux girl, too.  Good luck kittos.  Kate had quickly fallen in love with the little friendly black male.

Off to Vancouver which was only a few minutes more.  We found the train station and let Charlie out of his carrier in the back of my car to relax a bit.  It would be a long train ride home from there for Kate and Charlie.


Vancouver train station

Behind the station were huge piles of what looked like scrap metal.
With the drive to Vancouver, which took about one and a half hours, Kate still had six hours on the train to get home to Bellingham.  Yes you could drive it much much faster, but the train is easier on a person.  You can nap and read. 

She should still be fast asleep, I hope, recuperating from such a long day.  The bathroom now is empty.  Charlie, the old guy who plodded up my driveway two months ago and asked for help, he's gone now, up in Washington state with Kate.   We'll miss him, but now the  Hill street girls, who will be fixed today, Cookie and Blondie, can move into the bathroom. 

Seven other cats from the Lebanon colony will go too.  After I got home yesterday evening, I went back up there and trapped six more, since the four teens were now gone, and I had garnered 2 more open spay neuter reservations for today.  I also have those three kittens now whose photos are in my last post.

See ya round Charlie.  So long.  And good luck!



5 comments:

  1. Wow! You do such amazing work. ~hugs~ Be well, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Charlie. You plodded up to exactly the right place to ask for help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes he did. He hit the jackpot!

      Delete
  3. Anonymous2:36 PM

    Charlie will have a fine last few years of life.

    ReplyDelete

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too. Of course I did.  She has to drive ...