Monday, August 17, 2026

Spiders!

 My newest hobby is watching the cellar spiders in the corner of my garage.   

I let them stay because they kill the flies.  Every now and then I destroy their very messy webs.   

They are harmless spiders, with extremely long legs and are often called Daddy Long legs, even though they're not really Daddy Long Legs.

Real Daddy Long Legs are Harvestmen and not spiders.  They lack the ability to bite and a segmented body and they don't spin webs.  My garage spiders certainly have long legs but they are Cellar spiders.

Cellar spiders live up to two years, have segmented bodies and extremely long legs that they can sacrifice to predators, to save themselves.

Cellar spiders can bite but you probably would not even feel it.

They are very good at killing and eating all sorts of bad insects from silver fish to other spiders to house flies.   They inject venom into their often silk wrapped prey, that liquifies the victims innards.  Then the spiders suck out the liquified juice.  Yum, eh?

That's why I let a few of them stay, to do a job, rid the garage of any flies.


I think the one on the left is having breakfast


I read about flies too.  (Know your enemy).  Circling flies are generally males trying to protect a territory until a female flies through.  House flies live up to 30 days. Their territories are generally rectangular, not circular. They orient using a light, a stain, something hanging....  They take off when startled backwards, so if you're swatting at one, aim slightly behind the fly.

Flies sleep, so to speak, no eyelids so they can't close their eyes, a few hours at night.  Keeping them awake will tire them and make them easier to eliminate.  Unless they have a food source and warm environment, they die off in October or November, as they are cold blooded.   Eggs and larvae left behind in manure piles, decaying organics, trash....these form the next generation.



 A last intentionally distorted garage spider photo:

I found a home for the neighbors dryer.  They didn't want it.  I feared they'd hand it off to the guy and his trailer the homeless folk helping them knew.  I asked where he took the trash and asked if he was one dumping it along forest roads.  The woman said she didn't know but she thought he dumped it on his property.  Anyhow, the dryer deserved a better fate.  It's been in my garage since they moved but I found someone who needed a working dryer.   She hauled it off yesterday.

I have a lot more space now in the garage and plan to move the old recliner into the garage from the house today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spiders!

 My newest hobby is watching the cellar spiders in the corner of my garage.    I let them stay because they kill the flies.  Every now and t...