Friday, June 07, 2019

Trendy?

Andrew at Highriser in Melbourne has a post about trendy spots in his town.

I got to thinking, does Albany have any trendy areas, neighborhoods?   I can't think offhand what would make a place trendy, unless its an area everyone talks about and wants to visit and take photos.

I like the Pix theater, downtown.  It's really the only place downtown I've visited more than once.   I don't go downtown otherwise unless its near Christmas and I go to the Post Office to mail packages.  I don't have any reason to go anywhere in town unless I need to get groceries or something else.  So I don't.

 But a friend has taken me to the Pix a couple times now.  I like it as a small theater.  You can sit in the colorful entrance area and have a beer or coffee, and a sandwich and take your food and drink into the theater itself if you want.   I don't like big theater complexes much.  They are expensive and you just pay for a seat, and endure lengthy commercials first before the movie you went to see ever starts.  I hate that.  I haven't been to a big movie complex in years.

I don't know how the Pix survives though.  There have only been a few other people in attendance both times I went.  Maybe some nights they have crowds.


Here's the link to Pix in Albany.

If we have culture or art here, I don't know about it.   But I'm in the dark about a lot of things.

There has been over many many years a lot of ta do about the carousal being created downtown, the creatures being carved, then the building for it and now its been open awhile and I have zero interest in going down and riding around in a circle on a carved horse.   Apologies to carousal enthusiasts.  Not my thing.

That's all I can think of that might qualify as "trendy" here. 

Sorry to bore you with my inability to come up with anything interesting in freeway town here.

I will seriously make an attempt to discover something of interest in town and post later on.



13 comments:

  1. Miles north of our small Ohio suburb, downtown Dayton boasts an old theater much like you describe. It's fun to go, though we haven't thought for years to see what independent films they're screening. As for our Franklin home, it's a shame we don't have a nicer downtown. I lament the fact zoning prohibits any restaurants from overlooking the river. One side is taken up by a bike path (which is nice, for sure) and the other by apartment complexes and individual homes. Just north of us, Miamisburg installed a concert shell and hosts riverside festivals throughout the warm months. Sad to say, I prefer to avoid crowds anyway. Heh...

    Thanks for the kind words on my blog. Be well, my dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your river frontage doesn't sound used as it could be. There's a concert shell down by the river in town and a hand full of free concerts there during the summer but the crowds are unbelievable and you can't find a place to sit let alone park. And bathrooms? Lines a mile long for the few porta potties provided. So go before you go! I never go, just too crowded, and the blankee crowd is present. In other words, people stake out their territory with blankees in the early morning and you dare not invade the blankee space or touch a corner. To me, its become a little pathetic.

      Delete
    2. That does sound pathetic. :( What a shame.

      Delete
  2. I have to say that the artistry that goes into carousel rides has always intrigued me to the point I own a few individual horse miniatures. ~grin~ And looking up the museum website has proved interesting, the meaning within each animal design exquisite. Also, you've reminded me of the cool carousel at Cedar Point in Cleveland. Besides going up and down, the horses move back and forth, so you 'race' the rider next to you. It was fun in my teens, so thanks for the mention of this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Small theatres appeal to me MUCH more than the huge, expensive and soul less multiplexes.
    Often I think 'trendy' is a shorthand for expensive and temporarily fashionable. Mostly they don't last. And are not missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right about trendy being short for expensive and hip. I don't like the big theater complexes at all.

      Delete
  4. Anonymous1:48 PM

    There are some great old photos at The Pix website and it has an interesting history. Not everywhere has to have a trendy place. Some places just need to function.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to seeing what you consider interesting in your town. It may take a little work, but you can do it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here in Houston, not really. There are trendy places to live, but people hang out everywhere. If someone ever visited, they’d have to go to the museum district near downtown. It’s a couple square miles of nothing but museums.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Two square miles of museums. What is one street name? I'll tour them on google maps.

      Delete
    2. Well I used to work at the children’s museum at 1500 Binz.
      There are many street names, including Caroline St. I only really remember Binz.

      Delete

Ten Extras

 I have ten extra cats in my garage. Nine are in traps, just brought over from the Scravel colony.    They are almost all orange tabbies, wi...