Saturday, August 28, 2010

Garden Blessed

I love my garden. I put no effort into it. I don't have a green thumb. No. Wasn't born with one.

So I planted the easy crops. I planted squash cause it grows itself. I planted sungold cherry tomatoes,those yellow ones, cause I love them. I planted onions and kale and collards and lettuce and bush beans. The yellow bush beans, my favorite, gave and gave and gave. I love them. Thank you yellow bush beans for feeding me half the summer. I love you. Yes, I do.

And the cherry tomatoes gave and gave and are still giving. I love them. Yes, I do.

And the squash, oh my gosh. I gave up almost. See, squash have male and female flowers on each plant. You need bees to spread their love and share the pollen between the flowers to make squash happen. I had no bees coming.

But then, then the catnip bloomed. I love catnip. I want to spread catnip everywhere all over the world, or at least all over the mid valley. The more catnip the better. It should be everywhere, free for the taking. I do my part in that regard.

So the catnip bloomed and bees came because they love the catnip blossoms. Also the rosemary bloomed at the exact same time. Like synchronicity.

And the squash started forming from the fertilized female flowers. Little baby squash that grew into big honking acorn squash of a variety I just love. And they have given and given and given. One squash plant. Sure, the runners took over the yard. Who cares. I got dozens of squash. Dozens. From one plant and no effort. The bees did the work. Thank you, bees.

So, I ate squash. And I ate it. And I peeled it and froze it. And I've made soup of it. And thank you thank you thank you. One plant. No work. Lots and lots of really delicious food. Squash, onions, kale, collards, lettuce, tomatoes, and especially those bush beans, thank you. I love all of you.

But the real heroes, the bees and the catnip. Of course. Of course. I owe those bees for the squash. The catnip, boy, keeps on giving. Like only catnip can.

You know what I mean.

Fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Dog in the Road

 I went to get groceries yesterday morning fairly early. I was expecting visitors, brief ones, pop in and out, so I wanted to get done with ...