Friday, April 04, 2008

Mopsy Gets a Home and So Did the Long Hair Torti from Spicer Red

Mopsy went to a home today. Well, sort of a home. A local business was having a huge rodent problem inside their large business. They bought a cat at SafeHaven, but he was too scared there to leave the office and also had a bad leg. No good for a mouser. An employee took him home and he's happy as a clam sitting in a chair most of the day.

A woman who works there knows me, so she gave me a call and asked if I might a good mouser. I immediately thought of Mopsy. Mopsy is excessively fun loving, athletic and energetic. I don't think a mouse stands a chance with her. She's also a torti and torti's are usually some of the best mousers. She will get lots of attention and love, too, there. At night, she will be roaming the business on mouser duty.

So off she went. She was scared, but immediately bonded with the owner and employees. She will get A number one treatment there. If it doesn't work out, which the only reason I can see it wouldn't if she is too precocious and becomes a pest and knocks things over, she can come back here.

I got called by the folks who adopted Misty, the long hair torti who had the raspy scarey meow, and turned out to be starving and very tame and also previously spayed. They love her. They've already had a mobile vet over to check her over. Well, she has a broken voice box is why she has such a meow. Someone had choked her, probably in trying to kill her. She's got about the best home a cat could want now. It was like a miracle, too.

I'd posted her briefly on my website as a "Found" cat and this couple saw her, doing a search on petfinder because two weeks before, their own long hair torti, died of a heart attack. She was quite old. Misty, as they now have named this girl, looks a lot like her. That was right before I left for eastern Oregon. I didn't want to return her to a feral colony, but saw no other options, when this woman called. I rushed her up last minute and to think of it all working out like that now, almost chokes me up.

The raspy scarey meow I hear here, is actually Solomon. Now I wonder if he has a broken voicebox. He's never meowed before, but now he does so, quite a lot, but he really sounds like something out of a horror movie. So was it broken when he came here, from that horrible situation in Lebanon, or did it happen in his brief trip to a home in Springfield?

A woman swore she was good with former ferals, knew cat people I knew, but within four hours of getting him, she wanted him gone, that lovely benign boy and she was nasty about it. I was down there to retrieve him early the next morning and he was scared shitless. So I don't know what went on there with that whacky lying woman that night. It is horrible to even consider. But I got him back and he's here to stay now.

In all fairness, however, I've never heard him meow since he came here. He's doing so now maybe because he feels comfortable doing so, even with his damaged voicebox. So it's much more likely something happened to him at that shithole apartment complex in Lebanon, where the cats were routinely shot at by kids with pellet guns. In fact, some had pellet holes through their ears. What an awful place. I have no regrets taking those four out of there forever. Scooter is now in a barn home. Furby died and was never right to begin with. The vet thought she had a tumor in her spine or brain or, more likely, a pellet lodged in her spine or brain that eventually caused her extensive seizures the last of which she never came out of.

Panda and Solomon are still here. I miss Scooter, too, however, and wonder if he's ok. He went to a barn home with his little buddy Thor, a manx from N. Corvallis, who was a manx gone too far. His bowel and rectum were an inch beyond where his manx spine ended and so he did not have innervation to his bowels and would drop poop here and there. He was such a wonderful kitten, too, so sweet and loving, to have to send him to a barn home was a horror. He went with his best friend here, Scooter. I couldn't send him alone. There are many cats there and they are well cared for, but I miss them both and worry about them.
Mopsy, the kitten who wandered starving into my neighbor's garage, already pregnant at four months of age.
Misty, the long hair torti from Spicer Red, already spayed, who had a broken voice box.

2 comments:

  1. Hello again! Yes, I'm in England, in the Brighton area. We don't have any feral cats near where I live - not that I've seen anyway - but if we did, I would try to do what you do. I love cats and hate the way some people treat them.

    I'm so glad Mopsy and Misty have found good homes:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too! What do you do in England? For work, for fun?

    ReplyDelete

Last Trip to Lake?

 I went to the lake yesterday.  It was supposed to get up to near 80 by late afternoon.  I checked the reservoir level first, to make sure I...