Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Hopi is Dead

Hopi and Moby together.











Hopi is gone from this world. My dear Hopi. She had a massive tumor, involving both large and small intestines, liver and kidney. However it did not show up on X-ray. It's why she's been failing for an entire year. No telltale signs of cancer in bloodwork either. Lymphoma was her bodies fatal secret. She had held on so long, even after it apparently metastisized to surrounding organs. When it hit her liver, she was a goner. She wanted to live that badly.

I believe she's fought it a long time. She'd had a group of lymph nodes on her belly swell periodically. Then they would return to normal size.

Hopi is gone.

There is nothing you can do, when your friends die, but cry your eyes out and miss them and remember the wonderful times had together. Death happens. Out of my hands. I will miss Hopi and Moby, my dear friends, very very much. I will remember the times we had together, cuddled up or playing, them purring. Hopi was such a bitch much of the time, to the other cats. She always felt her needs were far more important than any other cats needs. Or even my needs. Hopi never learned from her mistakes, either, unlike Moby, who never repeated a mistake and was always improving himself.

I buried Moby with Bosco, the kitten who died here a few days ago. Moby adored kittens. Hopi, she'd not want to share even a grave with another cat. That would be an insult to her. I would not dare insult Hopi, even in death.

I buried Moby wrapped up in my tie dye T-shirt, that I got out of a free box at a garage sale a few years ago. It signified his shining nature so well.

With Hopi, I'd like to bury her wrapped protectively in my heart, I loved her so, if I could.

She was always a needy cat, unsure, nervous, fearful, with self-esteem issues due to her initial abandonment, as a kitten, then being dumped like that far away, like trash by some evil human, with Servana.

Oh, how Hopi clung to me for the rest of her days. She could not tolerate being seperated from me. She could not tolerate me being sad because it would frighten her.

The right person found her, over there, in the dark that night, beneath the overpass bridge. Just the right person who needed her, who understood what abuse and abandonment does to a soul. Just the right person whom she so desperately needed, saved her from the city's bulldozer. Just the right person, who never in a million years would have ever left her behind again.

I was just the right human for Hopi and Hopi was just the right cat for me.

Hopi, thank you for loving me and for saving me.

I love you. I love you. I love you.

7 comments:

  1. what a hard week. poor special girl. now moby and her can watch over you and the rest.

    i'm so sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are very sorry to hear about Hopi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sad for your loss. Thank you for working so hard for the kitties.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, so sorry for your loss. You gave Hopi & Moby the opportunity to experience human love, kindness and protection. I have no doubt they were as devoted to you. Two of many you saved by your actions.

    Mike & Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I stumbled across your blog while searching for homemade cat trees. Little did I know I'd spend the next hour reading about and looking at photos of your beautiful cats. Or that I'd find sadness at the loss of Boscoe, Hopi and Moby. It's not easy dealing with the death of a companion because it's physical. But nothing can take away the emotional and spiritual bond you had with them. That remains in your heart and is part of your very soul for as long as you live. Rely on it whenever you feel the emptiness. And know that you have given these cats more than another could or would. They know this, too. It takes a special person, and I'm certain God will reward you for caring for his creatures. Bless you!

    P.S. I love what you wrote: "When we respect not the smallest of lives, we throw our salvation to the wind." Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you to all of you, for your thoughts and words of sympathy. I miss Hopi and Moby so very much. I loved them so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hopi was your soul mate and I hope you will think of all the wonderful times you spent with her to get through this time! RIP Hopi and Moby and know that you were loved and had the best mommy you would ever find!!

    I think it was destiny that night you met Hopi - I really do. And I also believe three things. Firstly, given how ill she was and I know lymphoma (!!), she must've been in pain and been one brave courageous little kitty to say alive this long and I think she did it partly for herself because she could not imagine a life without you but also partly for you because she sounds like a sensitive soul who knew what you have been going through and knew you needed her.

    She was one one special kitty and my thoughts are with you and all you cats tonite!

    Take care of yourself too. Grief can cause us to be stressed and that will not help all your other medical issues! So, give yourself time to heal and to mourn! You deserve and need it!

    Think of the wonderful cats they came to to be with all your love and care!!! Hopi was special to begin with but your special abilities helped her to become who she was and to believe in herself. She was one kewl cat and I too will miss hearing of her!

    RIP Hopi and Moby!

    ReplyDelete

Last Trip to Lake?

 I went to the lake yesterday.  It was supposed to get up to near 80 by late afternoon.  I checked the reservoir level first, to make sure I...