Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Hopi's a Goner

Hopi's X-ray showed nothing abnormal, except for fluid in the abdomen. This time, upon physical examination, the vet could feel a lump on her right side down a few inches from her sternum. She let me feel it.

It's small, but attached to something, most likely the intestine. The lump did not show on the X-ray but the vet thinks it is located in a twisted mass of intestines. Did it originate inside the intestine or outside? They don't know. Tumors cause irritation and produce fluids as a result. Inside the intestine, they can grow and eventually can perforate the intestinal wall into the abdominal cavity, inducing peritonitis as the intestines' contents spill into and contaminate the abdomen.

Hopi likely has gastro-intestinal lymphoma. This is an extremely common cancer in cats. It is thought this cancer is very common because of cats grooming habits. Anything that lands on their fur, from second hand smoke, to household cleaning agents and deodorizers, to incense and candle smoke which is very toxic, to smoke from wood stoves, to outside sprayed cleaners, pesticides, herbicides and gas and diesel fumes, --any contaminant, ends up groomed into their GI tract.

Hopi is right now undergoing an exploratory. I don't think Hopi will ever again see daylight or settle in my arms for a nap. I don't think she'll ever again, be beneath my feet, tripping me, until I pick her up and carry her around in my arms or on my shoulder. I don't think Hopi ever again will be the queen of the bed, slapping at any other cat who challenges her queenhood or her absolute possession of me.

If Hopi has lymphoma she will have fought its symptoms longer than any cat I've ever known that has contracted lymphoma. Lymphoma, once symptoms set in, like vomiting and diarrhea, usually kills within one to four months.

Hopi spent almost all her time outside, at my last two places, because of the cat yards I built at each. She loved being outside. The cat yards were contained, always, so my cats would not to bother neighbors or be hit by cars, killed by dogs, etc, but they could still safely enjoy the outside, fresh air, napping in the sun, green grass, climbing, etc. I had so very much hoped that she would get to enjoy the outside again quickly here. Alas, that did not happen. I know how very unhappy this made her here. I am so sorry, Hopi.

Hopi is my baby. This is very hard for me. I love her. She's family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Last Trip to Lake?

 I went to the lake yesterday.  It was supposed to get up to near 80 by late afternoon.  I checked the reservoir level first, to make sure I...