Sunday, June 10, 2007

Wit's End

Photos of four of the five cats caught on Clover Ridge so far. Thankfully, I have a foster offer from an Albany woman. I don't know her, but she has responded to my craigslist appeal for homes or fosters pronto. YAY! Maybe it will all work out!The adult male. He has a flea collar on. The new house owners promised to post FOUND fliers and ask neighbors if anybody might own him. I assume they've done this by now.
The sweet little starving torti with the ulcerated eye.
Her sister, "the other torti", although there is a third, with medium length hair.
And the long hair orange cream male. I don't have a photo yet of the short hair orange cream male, also beautiful. My camera batteries went dead.

Should I just walk away from the Clover Ridge Road situation? I thought the people who bought the house from this Myrna were going to find the cats homes themselves. I thought they said they would take the cats back for now and feed them and find them homes. But now their story has changed completely. They want them gone. I understand. I do. But I can't solve all these cat problems alone, unfunded, and without space.

They also said they would make a donation. The big donation was $50. I said "This pays for fixing only one cat, not my bait, my gas over, flea treatment, worm treatment, shots, vet care, since one has a bad eye, and the cost of caring for them until they find homes. Not to mention advertising costs to find them homes."

"Well we appreciate your help," the woman added, apologetically. I was tired out and I I'd been tricked and used again. I said "Appreciation doesn't cut it." And walked off.

The new owners acted like it was my responsibility to go after the woman who abandoned the cats. I did call her up. She was mean and told me to take the god damn cats to the god damn pound. I said "Well, number one, there is no pound in Linn County. Number two, if you won't come get them, at least make a donation." She said she'd send $50. I don't think she will. She got $200,000 for the house and property. The people who bought it are developers. He's going to fix it up, subdivide the property, build four more houses on it, sell all of them and move to Corvallis.

When he said this, I knew this was not the sort of man who would find a home for a stray cat. I knew why he said "I just want them all gone." He had said he'd pay someone to do that. I guess my pay is $50. I am mad as hell. I'm getting screwed by everybody. I have a heart, so you get stomped when you have one of those rare organs in these parts.

I have five cats in my car right now. Five desperate hearts wanting to live and hoping for love and enough food to survive. They were getting none of that over in the big new fucking wonderful development where stray cats and humans with hearts are not welcome.

There are more cats to catch. The young torti's are five months old and tame. One has the corneal ulcer that is herpes caused. There are still their sister, another torti, and their brother, an orange tabby tux, to catch over there. And their mother, the calico, allegedly with yet another litter. I have one long hair orange cream male and a short hair orange cream male, both adults. And I have a tame black and white male, too.

Besides the two five month olds left to catch, and the calico and her three kittens, there is also an adult male Siamese to catch. If there were no more but those, that would be seven more to catch and place. 12 in all.

I waited around here for two hours this morning. A man had called. He said he saw the flier about Moonshine, the yard stray, at the coop in Corvallis and wanted to adopt her. He said he'd be over at 10:30. He never came. I called him twice more, but no answer. I finally left him a message that I'd like to at least know why he didn't show up as he said he would. He didn't call and leave that information. Two hours wasted, waiting on somebody who apparently doesn't mind wasting someone's time.

I had been so excited, thinking Moonshine at least would be leaving and getting a home. What a let down, when coupled with this Clover Ridge Road situation.

Should I walk away from the seven cats remaining there?

How can I? But how can I possibly find homes for them, when I can't find a home for even one yard stray--Moonshine?

3 comments:

  1. Well, guess it's time to start some more auctions. I can't help the cats everywhere, but at least I can help out there, where they've got a good person looking out for them.
    The little tortie looks so much like KC. Wow. Poor little thing.
    ML (Mary Lynn)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is darling, actually. So far, the count is seven cats trapped there. More to go. I have a possible barn home lined up for two or three, which is great news.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cat count is up to nine there. Apparently the kittens are no longer in this world. Not completely sure.

    Of the nine, one pregnant female died right after surgery, at the clinic. One male, the Siamese, might return, since he's being fed elsewhere.

    The old woman sent me $80, saying it's the amount she would have spent killing them. Kind of a wierd way to put it, but at least it will pay for the testing done today.

    ReplyDelete

End of Warmth

 We had some nice days.   But the heat is gone. We'll be in the 60's again for awhile, with perhaps some drizzle. I love the heat.  ...