Tuesday, September 17, 2024

Last Trip to Lake?

 I went to the lake yesterday.  It was supposed to get up to near 80 by late afternoon.  I checked the reservoir level first, to make sure I could launch.  



It never got to near 80, probably barely made 70 in fact while I was there.

Skies were clouded over and at first the wind was significant.

A pair of women with kayaks were hemming and hawing about even blowing up their boats and going in.   They claimed I inspired them and they would launch, but I never saw them.  If they went in, they probably went up the S. Santiam.

I crossed over the arm from the boat ramp and checked to see if there were any late ripening blackberries along the bank.   Then I went around the point and crossed the main body of the lake, which was very rough.  I like it rough, enjoy the wave action, love it in fact.  

On the far side, I encountered first flocks of Canada Geese, then Coots, then...mallards, who had taken over the swim area at the county park.  The beach and park were deserted except for a man with a golden lab messing around a solar panel for something, I don't know what, figured he must work for the county and be fixing something.

Lewis Creek county park swim area

Get all your ducks in a row Coots!


I badly wanted to go swimming and I could have, but by the time I got to where I usually swim my feet and legs were cold.  I should have gone swimming first. 

You get wet on a sit on top kayak no matter the weather.   After I got back I looked up what people wear in the winter kayaking and its expensive stuff--dry suit, expensive under layers.  The site said to dress for immersion temperatures not air temp.   Ok.  Out of my financial league.

Even my old life jacket is not suitable for kayaking and chafes me badly.  I got it originally at a thrift store or garage sale.  I think it was at a thrift store and it was my kayak paddle I got at a garage sale, thinking then it might work with my raft but it didn't.  So it was in my garage rafters until I actually got a kayak, years later.

So I can't really believe that people who go ocean kayaking or kayak in winter around here have the money for dry suits.  Just like with some who never wear life jackets.   But really, even with a dry suit, how long would you last if you overturned a kayak in the Pacific even with a dry suit?  Not long I bet.

When I was making trips up to Tombstone Pass, in search of that cat lost in a car wreck, I stopped on the way back and watched whitewater kayakers plunging down rapids on the south Santiam in the middle of winter.   They did have on dry suits.   These are adrenalin lovers sports and I don't need adrenalin rushes, just the peace and sounds of water.




I like the sounds on the second video.  The clinking of the floats of the swim area in the waves is really pleasant.  

Here's another, of the mallard takeover of the swim area beach.  I think its funny the ducks and geese take over the lake once September rolls around and yesterday were enjoying a day at the beach.


I got home about 5:30.  I'd already done the cat chores for the day but there are always more chores needing done.  I fell asleep in my chair however---not unusual and woke with a start near 8:00 p.m. when Fantasia jumped atop me.  Slinko was already sleeping on my lap and the disruption with Fantasia disturbing him woke me up.

Today we are supposed to have some light rain into the evening hours.  I don't know about tomorrow.



It was so nice to get out on the lake again.  Might be the last chance I'll get.

12 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you got to the lake. Water is restorative and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The water does look choppy. I wouldn't have liked that, but I'm glad that you did. Maybe there will be one more warm spell before winter sets in and you visit the lake again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At times the water does look quite rough for a lake. Good to see you had a good day out. I wonder if what you call a dry suit is what we call a wet suit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, there are wet suits, neoprene rubber and dry suits, designed to keep the water out, then you keep warm with underlayers. Wet suits keep you warmer, and I only know this from my diving days eons ago, through a thin layer of water under the suit that your body heats. Or something. I don't see how dry suits can fit well enough to keep water out, seems like there would be leakage, at neck, wrists.

      Delete
    2. Here Andrew I found these explanations of dry suit vs. wet suit:
      Unlike a wetsuit, where it allows water in, a dry suit is entirely waterproof. A surface drysuit is usually made from 3 or 4 layer breathable & waterproof fabric and is designed for watersport activities you undertake on the surface. Diving drysuits differ from surface drysuits and are usually made from neoprene or thick rubber. This, along with its various seals and zippers, prevents any water from getting inside. As they are looser than wetsuits, you can keep warm by wearing insulated clothing underneath.

      Perhaps the biggest difference between wetsuits and drysuits are their capabilities. The main purpose of a wetsuit is to keep you warm in the water. In order to achieve this, the suit is made neoprene, a rubber like matreial that is designed to create a layer of water between your body and the wetsuit itself. This layer is then regulated by your body temperature to keep you warm for the duration of your activity. In order for this method to be successful, wetsuits have to fit tightly. This tight fit also enables you to move more comfortably through the water.

      Delete
  4. It must have been nice to get back out there once again. Who knows? There might be one more lake trip for you this year before things get too cold.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think summer temperatures are mostly gone... I'm glad you got out there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you got on the lake. Hopefully I can get a lease one more trip in Mountains.

    ReplyDelete

Last Trip to Lake?

 I went to the lake yesterday.  It was supposed to get up to near 80 by late afternoon.  I checked the reservoir level first, to make sure I...