Saturday, August 17, 2024

Thunder!

 We were supposed to have a lot of rain and thunderstorms this afternoon.

We did.  

I'd trapped two kittens and three adults at this city of Lebanon RV park and day use area very quickly Friday evening.

It's a really really sad case.  There have been cats there forever, dumped by people unfixed and breeding.   Lots of irresponsible pet owners in this area, dog and cat.   The city never did a thing to help those cats on their property until suddenly a couple weeks ago, they decided to ban feeding them.  30 or so cats and kittens were to starve to death.   

You just can't believe sometimes what a city will do, how stupid and cruel, when city police are supposed to even enforce animal abuse laws and here the city is abusing animals.   Anyhow, the cats got a stay from the starvation decree, when someone I know talked to them, asked for time, to get them fixed and find them homes.   Great.  You would think people might jump in, help out.  Or maybe the city would set up a fund to help pay for all the fixes.  Nope, just a couple people messaged with "You should do this or that" but no one actually willing to help.   Isn't that the way it is.

Anyhow, that lady who was the first to hear of the situation took six to be fixed in Portland last week and I have five spots Monday in Salem where at least four or five more will be fixed.  I guess Silverton Cat Rescue will take four of the ones I have caught to a barn home, but I have no idea when. I had hoped it would be same day they get fixed--Monday, but now I don't know.  And I had still hoped to get away for a couple days to camp.   

I only heard about this situation very recently.  



I went and picked blueberries at a friends house who had too many in her patch on Friday, then drove home, fast loaded five traps and got to the city RV park kind of late last night, but caught five quickly.  There were cats everywhere.  But at least six of them are now fixed.    Finding barn homes is a pain in the butt and I can't do it.  

Two of the five I caught are kittens and today they went back to a Lebanon foster who now is in charge of them.  Punky and Ash they are named by people who have fed them, before the ban.

I caught two girls and a boy then, all skinny.  Today before driving the kittens to their new foster person, it began to thunder.  Meanwhile, the park lady had caught Tabby, another male, friends with a male I already caught and the weather was about to explode.  So the kitten foster lady sent her husband to get the boy in the trap as I drove to Lebanon with the kittens to hand off to her.  It thundered and lightning skittered across the sky as I drove.  Then the pounding rain began.

It rained buckets after that.   Once home, with kittens gone, three adults in one big cage, and one still in a trap in the car, I sat and listened to booms so loud they shook the house.  I liked it.  

I think its over with now.   At one point, I had to go out and  force water off the two tarps still atop the cat yard, for heat deflection because they were not at an angle for water to drain off.  Lot of water.

This amount of rain should douse some wildfires if the lightning didn't just start more.

So I have the five spots Monday and already have four of the cats for the five spots.  the fifth might be from a different colony the Lebanon lady trapped but she couldn't catch one female and her friend lives at that complex and is trying to catch that last one there.  That would be nice if she caught her.    The four here will be the ones going to the barn home after getting fixed on Monday.

Pepper a boy



Charlie, a girl

Sassy a girl

Ash, a kitten

Punky, a kitten

6 comments:

  1. Well done. Again.
    I don't like thunder. Twice I have been in a house struck by lightening and thunder spooks me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh, EC, twice!!! That's nuts. I would be terrified of that.

      Delete
  2. It never ends. Unfortunately, there are always more cats to be fixed. I'm glad you got some blueberry picking done among the trapping and the rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a gallon or more of blueberries now.

      Delete
  3. Isn't that just like a city to decree no feeding of cats rather than finding a way to take care of them. They really should support your efforts as that takes care of the problem in the long run. I mean, it would be best if people wouldn't abandon their cats, but you can't fix stupid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its just plain stupidity, taking what they see as the easy road. Cruel as hell.

      Delete

Last Trip to Lake?

 I went to the lake yesterday.  It was supposed to get up to near 80 by late afternoon.  I checked the reservoir level first, to make sure I...