Sunday, August 18, 2024

And More Cats

 The broken record again.....

I did all my cat chores then went to the park with my friend. I park at her place and we drive up.  I brought a trap.  I figured it was time to catch "Growler" a cat she has been feeding, get the cat fixed.

I posted a video of Growler when I fed for the woman when her truck was broken down.

I thought perhaps she growled because she had kittens somewhere back in the briars with her.

Guess who was right about that.

I only took one trap and I didn't catch Growler with it.


Oh shoot.  Mary, I yelled, there are kittens with Growler.  She was up at her truck.

So, having only one trap, she went back to her place, in town, to get her trap and a carrier.  Once she got back, 40 minutes lates, I set her trap and transferred the little tabby kitten into a carrier she brought too.  I did the transfer inside her truck to be safe about it.

By the time I got the kitten transferred and went back down to the berry vines, Growler and a black kitten were in the trap I'd left set together.  And they'd sprung it.  So my friend then took the three trapped cats back to her place, and got Subway sandwiches while I waited around at the park, with the other trap set.  But I never caught another kitten.  I think there are two more, but I can't be sure.  I saw only flicks of movement and came to the conclusion from that--another tabby and a darker tabby with some white somewhere on its face.  But....I'm usually right about what I've seen.

So I got too many cats for tomorrow's five spots.  I have four from Gills Landing.   I have the mom and two kittens from the park.  And then the lady in Lebanon had loaned a trap to a friend of hers with one last unfixed female she fed outside.  She caught her.  In all, that's three extra.   I emailed Alpine, the private clinic, to see if they can do the extras tomorrow. I won't know til tomorrow since they're closed today.  Let's hope.

The four from the park are going to their barn home on Wednesday with Silverton Cat Rescue.

As for Growler and her kittens, the feeder lady will hold them and try to tame the kittens.   For now at least.  I transferred Growler to one of my traps and the black kitten to the carrier with the tabby so she could have her trap back.  She plans to set it tomorrow, to see if she can get anymore kittens.

Meet Growler!



Two Growler babes

She feeds another place a few miles away and I was with her and innocently asked, "No new ones here, right?"  She asked if I wanted her to lie or tell the truth.  I should have said "lie".  There are two Siamese mix teens and a calico mom.   
They will have to wait.

It was a pleasant day to sit around at the upper park and just do nothing while hoping the kittens would go in the trap.  Except the yellow jackets were out.



7 comments:

  1. I do hope the other kittens/cats can be caught. And that you can find places for them to fixed and go. Well done again.
    Batty is getting better by the day - which is amazing after all he has gone though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Despite his constant health challenges, Batty is unbelievable, a fighter, amazing! I can't believe he's alive still but I'm glad he is.

      Delete
  2. In my area, in late summer the wasps and yellow jackets start to get really aggressive. Guess they know cold weather is coming.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here too, and maybe that's why I feel a panic over losing summer, warmth, any chance of fun on the lake or river, with winter coming. We get so little time to be outside without it raining and cold here.

      Delete
  3. As always, thank you for the important job you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just when you thought you were caught up... Deep sigh. At least you caught those kittens. That'll help somewhat.

    ReplyDelete

Last Trip to Lake?

 I went to the lake yesterday.  It was supposed to get up to near 80 by late afternoon.  I checked the reservoir level first, to make sure I...