Saturday, August 03, 2024

Strange Day

 

Calapooia at Brownsville

Today is cloudy and cool.   I haven't been watching the news much, so had no idea it would be this way today.  I've been very tired, after the trip Wednesday to Waldo, then the trapping of the rest area kittens and all the twists and turns of that, and stress over how to find them a place to go.

The relinquishment date for the kittens is actually Monday.  Surprised me because I haven't been keeping track of the date either.    5th of August already on Monday?

I am told it will be costly to relinquish them to the local shelter.   

I kind of blew it all around, financially, on this one, except from the kittens point of view, which is the view that matters.  They are safe, out of that dire situation they found themselves in, dumped at a rest area.

Yesterday, I took them to be fixed at the private clinic.   I hadn't checked their sexes or anything, just left them in the traps in the car over night so I could get up and leave early to the clinic.  The back of the car was red with flea dirt where the traps had been.

I had to get to Stayton at 4:00 for an important appointment.    The clinic called they were ready about 2:00 so I headed over fast, thinking I could get over, pick up the kittens, all girls, pay the bill, get them set up at home and still make it to Stayton on time.   But alas, the clinic was busy checking people out and it took longer than I thought it would.  So I asked a Lebanon lady if she could pick them up from me at Home Depot, which is on the way to Stayton and she did, met me there.   

I then went on to Stayton and got there by 4:00 thank goodness.  An older lady there, and I better be careful who I label as old, gets damaged or overstock goods at reduced price by the pallet and resells the product, for a profit.   Every now and then she gets pallets of cat food and advertises it to mostly rescues, who are desperate for every dime and getting half price cat food is like a gift from heaven.   

She was getting in 300 cases and I knew it would be gone probably within an hour.  But I made it in time to get 20 cases, cash only.    I drove straight to LEbanon afterwards and picked up the girls, still in traps in the ladies car and also gave her four cases of the wet food, since she has some kittens she's caring for.  

There are just no options for low cost fixing.   She's trying to start a rescue but has brought in almost no donations.  HCC is down to an all time low in funds, as a result of the decline in affordable spay neuter.

I set the girls up in the bathroom with the Sweet Home kittens.    Immediately, one of the newcomers clamored into the carrier bed with Chia and Stachio, from Sweet Home, who never mouthed a single objection.  The other two girls became very excited over their new digs, wanting pets and chasing toys.  They were ecstatic!   They're very very friendly sweet girls.

Today I wanted to leave them alone, to rest up from their big change and surgery yesterday.   The neighbor texted and asked if I wanted to go to Brownsville.  She was going to go see some friend selling stuff at an event at the park there.  So I rode along.  It didn't go well from the start.  I don't know what it was exactly but she got mad at me and began snapping and I finally told her to let me out and just call when she was ready to go.  

 I walked down to the Calapooia river.  It's very pleasant, the river running slow and low.  A few people were along the rocky beach places.  I sat down on a clump of grass, as seat, and just enjoyed the peace and quiet.

I was there quite awhile and no call or text from the neighbor.  Ok, I thought, I wonder if I've been left or what.   I posted I was looking for a ride home and a friend called and said she'd be there shortly.  I texted the neighbor I had found a ride home.  I don't know where she was at that point.  

 In the meantime, I decided to walk to town.  I was looking for some cold coffee, since I'd not had my morning cup.   I had to labor up quite a hill to get back to the main drag there.  I was proud of myself for getting in the exercise and walked down almost to the Darimart before my friend pulled up, leaned over, opened up the passenger side door with a big grin and a cold gatorade.  Just what I needed!






10 comments:

  1. Those new kittens sound perfect. Do you ever consider keeping some of cats your rescue?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only if necessary. I am too old to take on kittens and they wouldn't get the attention they want, since I still have two very jealous tame cats--Slinko and neighbor cat Gigi. The rest are wild really and no trouble, and Slinko is wild to all but me. But both he and Gigi are possessive and needy and require a lot of time, to keep happy. But I love kittens, they're so full of life, joy, energy.

      Delete
    2. I knew you already had a full plate with the cats you have, but you always surprise me with what you are able to do.

      Delete
  2. It sounds like a very challenging day. Yay for cheap cat food though. A huge win - and for getting the kittens done. They sound like total cuties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had its moments. Cheap cat food is always good.

      Delete
  3. Your stories never cease to amaze me. I'm so glad you and these precious kitties are doing okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am saying my farewells to the rest area girls this morning.

      Delete
  4. Sorry about your neighbor. I wonder what set them off. Sounds like the kittens should be able to find a good placement as they won't be an issue with getting along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have a clue why she was snapping at me. She also stayed there for hours and didn't tell me she would be staying for hours when she asked if I wanted to go. The kittens even like dogs, even big dogs, they should be a breeze to place.

      Delete
    2. Her driving is really bad. When she gets to a place like that venue, had no idea where she was going, although she could have easily looked it up on a map app or just asked her friend, she goes into plow through mode of driving and hopes everyone gets out of the way. It's dangerous.

      Delete

Last Trip to Lake?

 I went to the lake yesterday.  It was supposed to get up to near 80 by late afternoon.  I checked the reservoir level first, to make sure I...