Thursday, August 08, 2024

Crooks

 I decided to tackle the new cats at the park.   The feeder lady doesn't trap, so when she tells me there are newbies, its usually weeks after she's been feeding them.   

Anyhow, I contacted the private clinic to ask if they could do a boy today.   I had not seen any other cats other than Chatter, as I call him, the orange tabby boy.  They could, as long as I got him there by afternoon.

I was over confident.   I thought he'd be so easy.

I arrived at the park and carried my large trap into the brush.  He's a big boy.  I set it and checked it now and then, becoming more and more bored.  He was uninterested in food and more interested in sleeping.  Well, hey, I was too.

I first saw him yesterday when  I went there for her, since her truck is still in the shop and her brother wanted his truck back for the day.

Chatter


   Today, he was there, but sleepy.  Until suddenly, this poor cat shows up out of nowhere, skinny as all get out.  She was mewing too.  

I named her Crooks, due to that crooked half length tail.  Residential lady turns out has fed her awhile, from when she was near a kitten, said three were dropped off, but I never know.

I caught her rather quickly.   I called the clinic from the brush, asked if they could do a female instead and they said to bring her.  


I stopped another place and gave Growler some food.  It's another newbie at another place.  The cat growls from deep in the berry vines, then comes out a hole and hisses at me before happily gobbling two cans of food.  I had to tear my car apart to find two more cans of food but I did, so Growler was happy with me.  I know that because Growler growled at me and also hissed at me, but from closer range.  Growler's behavior makes me wonder if there are kittens in there with her somewhere.

I ran Crooks clear to the clinic north of Corvallis and then I picked her up about 5:00 p.m. there.  I'll return her to the residential lady who has fed her since she was much younger.  In a perfect world, she'd be fostered and get a home.  But this is no perfect world.  Shelters and resces are so over run and done.

I still need to catch Growler and Chatter for fixing.   Some other time though.  At least I got a start on these three newcomers.



8 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for the never ending work you do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It might be a blog post for you, but what is your relationship with all the different clinics you use for desexing and cat care? Do they respect you for your work? Do they roll their eyes when you call? Are they kind to you? Are they as helpful as they can possibly be and try to make things affordable for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are all three very good to me, Andrew. The FCCO clinic in Portland, I've known some of those folks over 20 years. I don't call them anymore, since they have a rule that the person feeding the cats must make the appointments, although I often then trap and transport. The OHSS clinic staff are the greatest, although there is quite a lot of turnover there. I don't hold it against them that we get so few spots there now. That's not their doing. As for the private clinic I use now and then, they're terrific too.

      Delete
    2. Andrew provided a great query and I'm glad to read your overall positive responses. That's especially true after reading your title "Crooks" as I feared you got financially screwed somehow. My imagination has always turned toward a bad scenario; just ask anyone who's known me for a long time. lol Be well!

      Delete
  3. As far as preventing unwanted kittens down the line is it more valuable to fix a male or female? Or does it make any difference?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Females, in the spring and summer, males in the winter. FEmales can have up to three litters in one summer and often do, and can get pregnant at four months of age. males however are the ones who draw negative attention to cats in general, fighting, spray marking, spreading disease, often found injured in the spring and summer, from fighting or getting hit by cars. Once spring hits, since it takes months for the hormones to diminish after neuter, getting males fixed does little to diminish the issue of fighting and spray marking during summer months. Yet I feel for the big males. We call spring and onward "Dead male cat on the road" season. For a reason. People post about their missing unfixed free roaming males like clueless dumbshits too. And if they find them, often injured or sick from fighting, they post ridiculously irresponsible fundraisers, like they are not the cause of their cat needing an amputation or extreme vet care.

      Delete
  4. It never ends, does it? Just when you get one group under control, new kitties pop up somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In answer to your question: A plain ol' chipmunk.

    ReplyDelete

Last Trip to Lake?

 I went to the lake yesterday.  It was supposed to get up to near 80 by late afternoon.  I checked the reservoir level first, to make sure I...