Tuesday, June 11, 2024

Two Park Post

 Yesterday I went down to Mckercher park swimming hole on the Calapooia River, near Brownsville.

I've been to this park many times, and at least twice to trap cats.  Once at the house next to the park and once at a mobile home being vacated across from the park.  It was trapping there, where I had a close encounter late at night with a big male cougar.  A face off sort of.  I had a piece of rebar and he had a lot more going for him.  Anyhow it all turned out just fine.

The swimming hole is really nice, with rocks the young folk (and sometimes us old folks too) jump off of into the water.  I really like the waterfall around the corner from the swimming hole.  I used to hold onto rocks and let it hit my back as it cascaded into the pool.  Its just a short little waterfall, by any standards.  But yesterday there was a lot of water rushing down that area and no waterfall--too much water.

The water was cold and clear.  I went in swimming twice but otherwise just laid on my straw mat and read a book.

The rushing water is around the corner and to the left of the big rock on the left.


The above video is of fish fingerlings in the swimming hole.  If you turn on the sound, you can hear the rushing water from around the corner.

Today I went to the park.  There are still lots of daisies.   It was sunny there, but in Albany, the weather had been cloudy and windy.  It cleared up later in the afternoon.

I sat on a bench and took a few photos.










Today the Lebanon lady whose cats are being fixed at a private clinic took in the last five from her colony.   Getting 7 ferals fixed and vaccinated at a private clinic cost HCC over $1000.   I was happy HCC could pay for them and stop this very small colony from becoming a big one, but...Yeah its too much, can't do it for more than one now and then.  

A few TNR groups with good funding, lots of supporters are using private clinics more and more, because there are really few options other than the FCCO in Portland for most of us.  HCC can't go the private clinic route very often.   Sure was way too easy with this small group, however, could get used to that!!   Alas, we don't have that kind of bucks.  The Salem clinic is kind of pointless now, since trappers get maybe 5 spots a month.  Takes several months, at that rate, to do one colony that by then, has multiplied.

I try to encourage folks who contact me to get FCCO spots but most don't.   Not sure why.   

Is the end near for HCC's spay neuter mission?  Don't know.   I am taking a break, just have the one promised out FCCO trip next week, for some Sweet Home folk.   I don't mind that one.  They're going to catch their own and I'll just transport.  (I hope anyway).

I've got a pair of fading cats.  Age related, a brother and sister.  Both from a Corvallis homeless camp.   They're super old.   Even though neither are tame, has had me down in the dumps to know they will both be gone very soon.


12 comments:

  1. I am glad that you got to swim and enjoy time in that beautiful park. Sorry for all of your other news though. Very.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice--- Your pictures are excellent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That means quite a lot coming from you.

      Delete
  3. Lovely park photos, with stout tree trunks and lots of daisy flowers. I know you've said your old cats would not like new cats, but won't you eventually have no cats living with you permanently? I've been reading your blog for so many years, and I don't think you've ever taken in a new cat in that whole time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My cats are for the most part very old and they don't take well to newbies. I did add a couple last summer, from Waterloo, the usual suspect place. Dougie, whom I now call Scooter or Scootie, and his sister Cougie. They're only 1 year two months, my youngest. I'm old and I can't really take in young cats because they'd outlive me for sure. But because they were teens, and wild, I couldn't find them a place and were from that awful drug property. So I should have them til I die. Its difficult to manage a lot of older cats. And there's tremendous sadness in it for me, to lose them one by one. They've all been with me so long. I call them The Family.

      Delete
  4. It seems like things are coming to an end. Although, every end is a new beginning. Perhaps there will be a better way to continue your mission without as much aggravation as you've been dealing with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a lot of fed up is going around the small groups, rescues and TNR groups in Oregon currently. Shelters are currently full, of both dogs and cats and people don't get it, and still don't fix their cats that often they got as free kittens from someone else who didn't fix their cats.

      Delete
  5. This trip is the exact opposite of the one you took the other day, and that field of daisies is spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the Calapooia is currently much cleaner and clearer than the Santiam and Foster reservoir. I haven't been back up, but hope its better next time I go up. The suds I discovered online at Foster, are from decaying organic matter.

      Delete
  6. Both parks look lovely. The swimming hole sounds like fun. I could see the crystal clear water in your video!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its a very cool swimming hole. Its often also very crowded, but only a few people came and went while I was there.

      Delete

Weather Bummer

 We have dissolved into some state of weather that is not summer like. Yesterday was cold and cloudy.  Today it is again in the 60's.  T...