Thursday, May 30, 2024

Gone Wood

On Monday I finally got around to cutting the waist high dandelions behind the cat yard.  There's a ten foot by twenty foot area back there, basically unused except by neighbors cats.   I startled Bob, who likes to lounge around napping back in the weeds.

I tried to rush it, because there were people in their yards having picnics on the holiday Monday.   Did myself in, really, weed whacking as fast as I could that very overgrown area, but it got done.

There's still wood back there, from the paper birch that had to come down, when it got a disease.

Yesterday someone with a burn pile I know came by and took five of the pieces I'd dolleyed to the driveway.

There's lots more need out.  

This wood still needs out of there

At least these five are gone now
Anyways, I haven't used the kiddie pool since those two hot days several weeks ago.   It was warm two days over the holiday.  Both Sunday and Monday got into the low 70's.   Since then, its been extremely icky and dreary gray.  

But, its supposed to be nice today and tomorrow.  Then we get an atmospheric river for a couple days after which we could get an early brief heat wave in the 80's.  The 80's is pool weather.  So....the pool is leaking somewhere and so is my inner tube floatee, which now resides on the bottom of the leaky pool in the six to eight inches of water left.

I'm about to give up on it.  Everything around here needs fixed, seems like.

I'd loaned a trap out to a Lebanon household to catch a little cat they'd been caring for.  First attempt, they decided to try to force the cat into the trap, which didn't end well, mostly for the lady who tried it.   So I had them feed the cat in the trap and they caught him or her last night, so I took him or her, they call the cat Memew, to Alpine to be fixed this morning.  They're a private clinic now doing ferals, but its a bit spendy.  For one or two, here and there, its fine though, and I can refer people to take their ferals there, who have the money to get it done themselves.  It's really nice to have somewhere like that.   They get them in, usually same or next day, and they're often ready to come home by noon!!!!!   

She or he is over there getting fixed and so is a little Sweet Home kitty who might have pyometra.  I was trying to see if she was lactating and instead I think I saw pus.  The people caught her late and brought her over near 11:00 p.m.   So we shall see how it turns out for her.  

I also loaned ten traps to a Lebanon woman, whose friend has FCCO spots today.  She said they caught 9 cats, up there being fixed today.  And I loaned a trap to a local business who had two kittens offload with a load they got in on a truck.  They caught one, but not the other.   Haven't heard if they caught the second one yet.

Anyhow, I know what you're thinking to yourselves, that I said I'm going on a break and you knew I wouldn't really do that.   I am on break, gosh darn it, but these are cats people are catchiing themselves and bringing to me or who just need to borrow traps.   I got one more I'm taking to be fixed next Monday, left at an apartment complex that we'd worked so hard to get completely fixed, to let another abandoned cat change things.   Sure are lots of irresponsible people around.

Oh, and here's Gigi on my lap.  Fortunately she has discovered the joys of the cat yard and now spends most of her time in the house or cat yard.  



13 comments:

  1. This doesn't sound like a break, but if you feel like it's a break for you, then perhaps it is the break you need. Sorry about your kiddie pool. Perhaps you can get another? It sounds like you've had similar weather to our May gray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suspect that is as close to a break as you can manage. And hooray for people who can pay for themselves.
    Well done - to them and to you.
    I hope you do get some warm weather. We have rain today - which I welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you are dealing with almost responsible people for a change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am telling people I'm on break and they'll need to catch their own. But I loan traps and do transport right now, limited since I really few spots. The two today were close to $300 to be done at a private vet, so I can't do very many there, but for a few, especially females, I will. Still cheaper than fixing all the kittens later.

      Delete
  4. Those are big chunks of wood. Must have been a large tree. Good firewood??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been able to split them. Have no ax or splitting wedges. Originally thought I'd find a way to split them and use as firewood.

      Delete
  5. It sounds like a break for you because you aren't spending long hours, in all kinds of weather trying to catch the cats. And, yes, we knew you wouldn't be able to take a total break. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is a nice break, doing it this way, still feeling at least somewhat useful. Ha, on you knowing I wouldn't be completely at a stop.

      Delete
  6. What a sweet face. :D Meanwhile, just this morning I spent time chopping down high weeds. We have a walk-out basement and for years I've risked life and limb walking our lawn mower down the steep slope. So last year I killed the turf grass, only to have prickly lettuce take over. Countless of these invasive plants having grown almost five feet tall. It's an invasive species and I fear the city will fine us if we don't get rid of it. ~sigh~ Nice as this neighborhood is, I sometimes wish for time travel to warn my younger self about the frustrating future; the trashy wilderness behind us makes land management challenging.

    It's always something, isn't it, my dear? Take care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trashy wilderness, I love that phrase. The house behind me, I don't know what is going on there. Their fence is half fallen, their backyard is overgrown and full of junk and broken discarded toys. I'd say it too is a trashy wilderness.

      Delete
    2. Your view is worse, I must admit. ~ugh~ At least this trashy wilderness is only junk trees and weeds. I do miss the open field offering me views of passing deer and other wildlife. Oh, well. Best wishes, my dear.

      Delete
  7. I know I haven't seen waist high dandelions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll try to get a photo. I left a tiny patch cause the weed eater line ran out.

      Delete

More Rain

  We had a lot of rain on Wednesday, a little bit yesterday, more this morning.  We are not short on rain here, that's for sure. Nothing...