Sunday, May 26, 2024

Broken Things

 I've been busy fixing broken things.

I have lots of broken things.

Several of the runs out in the cat yard are falling apart, rotted from age.   I had to take some down as they weren't safe anymore.    Friday I made a new shelf of two quickly spray painted fence boards I had here and I had to also make new supports to hold them up, as those had rotted too.

But before I could do that I had to fix the electric hand saw.  How many decades have I had that?   Two at least.  And I got it used at the Habitat Store to begin with for $5.  The blade is stuck on.  No blade release on it and its so frozen in place I can't get it off.  So I try to sharpen it with a stone.  The cord got cut at some point too, so I had to cut it and put on a new plug.  

Well this time when I tried to use it to cut support pieces for the cat run replacement, I'd plug it into the extension cord and the circuit breaker would blow.  Great.  I finally figured out it had to be the plug.  So, I took it apart and sure enough, the positive had pulled (or burned) mostly off its connection.  I had to cut the wires down further and strip them, with just scissors, and reattach and put the plug back together and then I could cut the support boards to fit.  

So that run is now replaced but there are several others to replace.

This is my cat yard as of last week.  The cats do love it.


Today I tried to fix the kayak.   The seat straps had worn then broken and pieces were still attached by rivet to the kayak.  I needed to drill out the rivets first thing.  I'd gotten a new kayak seat and some hardware with an amazon gift card I got last Christmas.   I got a seat that clips in, so I can take it off for transport, which is what did in the original seat.

But the drill bit broke off after I drilled out the first rivet, then the drill battery went dead.   Oh well, charge it up.   I got the new hardware piece with a clip ring on it, in on both sides to hold the forward seat straps and also added a couple more hooks to the back, where a net had once attached before it tore and two of the hooks broke off.  I have a springy cord, with clips at each end, to back and forth across those hooks, to hold anything I carry in the back down.

I did not take a photo of the new seat in place yet, and I unclipped it and put it back in its storage bag, where it will stay unless I'm heading to the lake, to extend its longevity.

This is the new seat I got months ago.

One of the rivets that needs removed first

The new seat has a little storage pouch clipped to the back of it.  

One of the new hardware pieces that the forward seat straps will clip to.

I also trimmed the butterfly bush of more dead branches.  The ice storm and big freeze of this winter almost killed it.  At least half if not more is dead.  I don't know if any of it will survive.

Stevie, a neighbor street cat, was over bugging my cats from the top of the cat yard.   I made a video, with imovie again, using once again one of their audio clips.





10 comments:

  1. That's a few things ticked off your mental list.
    Stevie just wants to be a friend? No?
    Btw, many years ago I asked you what is the meaning of house flipping. It is now a common term here, just being used on our tv news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh now you have house flippers there too? There are also pet flippers, who get free cats and dogs, give no vet care of any sort, then try to sell them. Those aren't rescues, they're flippers. Stevie is a neighborhood bully and is the one who tore up Gigi's ear at one point, so badly she had to go to the vet. I feel very accomplished, even though the shelf redo in the cat yard took me an entire day and so did the kayak fixing yesterday. Oh well, what else am I going to do.

      Delete
  2. You have been busy and productive. Again. Still. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt good once each project was done. Thanks.

      Delete
  3. You are great at MacIvering whatever needs to be fixed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was once my favorite show, the original, not the remake.

      Delete
  4. As always, I'm in awe of your mechanical abilities.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Youtube helps tremendously, with showing me how to do about anything.

      Delete
  5. I'm with Kathy. :D You're wise to store your new seat in its protective case. ~nods~ And you're so wonderful at enriching your cats' lives, my dear. Decades ago I purchased a manual off eBay (I think) on enclosing my back patio for safe cat usage but never did anything. ~sigh~ At least that's one project I didn't start and fail to finish. lol Hugs and best wishes, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've been busy. You are way more mechanical than I am; I bow down to your sticktoitivness. That does look like a fun yard for cats.

    ReplyDelete

24 Hours

 We had two days of very hot weather, in the upper 80's.  These were the days I travelled to and back from Bend. I went to see my brothe...