Saturday, April 27, 2024

The Blues

 The blues have taken hold.  The weather turned to crap after two decent days.  Well only one of those days turned out warm, without the wind.

The reduction in spay neuter spots and the realization I have no path forward for the nonprofit, due to fewer and fewer affordable spay neuter options, and no adoption partners, for tame cats in colonies, has me singing the blues too.  Paid out $150 for one spay, hoarder house cat, out of Lebanon, at a private vet last week.

I'll only get 5 to 6 spots in Salem in all of May.   The clinic cited the holiday at very end of month, and "changes to the clinic" as reason.   That last statement struck fear in my heart.   What are they going to do now.  Reduce capacity even further?    It's been decimated since the Portland shelter took it over anyhow.  Make it even worse, I wonder.   

Also I am just plain tired of getting used. 

The talker lady in Sweet Home, who has spots in Portland for the cats she has in her house, wanted me to drive them up for her.  I think I shocked her by telling her no.  I think she thought if she pretended she was going to help with the 7-11 cats, I'd sacrifice a day to drive her cats up and back from Portland.  

So far, she's not been any help with the 7-11 cats at all, for one thing.   She does talk a good story though, but short on any action.    She's got a nice car and doesn't work, so there's no reason in the world for her not to go herself.

Anyhow finding anyone to lift a finger around here has been a problem for years.   I may be part of that problem by doing too much for too many.   If people don't learn to do for themselves, and pass that attribute along to their kids, what good is it really.

The neighbor dogs continue to bark through my fence at me.  It's not constant.  It's when they're out in the yard.   Its ironic that its my fence they're barking through.  If I hadn't built that fence, for privacy, the people who bought the house could not have advertised it as having a fenced yard, dog friendly, when they put it up for rent.  The anti bark device I got off Amazon doesn't work at all to stop the barking.   Probably because its a cheapee.   I'm going to try to return it for refund since its useless.

I might have to inform them I'm taking the fence boards off in the front part of my fence.   That's because I left a space between the boards and I want to seat them tight against each other so the dogs can't see through it.  Maybe that will help stop their barking.   I do like those dogs, but not their barking and I realize they have owners who never trained them and do nothing to stop their barking when they're out in the yard.

I don't know how they take it and not decide to train them.  The dogs bark in their house if they see someone or a car go by on the street.  They bark at delivery people.  They bark at people who bring food they've ordered and even run out at them when they open the door to get the food.

They don't put them on leash when they take them to the park.  They don't pick up their shit.   

None of that affects me, just the barking in the yard.   I just have to figure a way to stop that so I can have some peace and quiet in my own yard and nights watching TV.

I've been too nice about it with the neighbors.   




10 comments:

  1. I am not surprised you have the blues. Just the dogs barking would do my head in, let alone the other issues. And well done on saying no. That is a v hard word to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah the rain doesn't help either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No is a good word to learn. People will use you as far as you will let them. But I know that all you really want is a good deal for the cats, so that makes it hard. All of the neighbors surrounding me have dogs who bark. Luckily, since we put new windows in the house, we don't hear them too much. However, we had guests who slept in their camper in our driveway and the barking kept them up at night. Training your dogs not to bark excessively takes work, but it can be done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might get some noise killing headphones. I wonder if those work.

      Delete
  4. The problem is lack of recourse. They can say, "So what?" We've lived through that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they can. And I love the dogs too, and don't want anything bad for them.

      Delete
  5. When I was doing personal care. I didn't talk care of these people. But they had a little dog. They let shit in hallway. Of the apartment building. Didn't pick it up. Someone else did it.
    I think things are going to get tighter and harder.
    My daffodils are in bloom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG that is awful, but I've seen that sort of thing too. I don't like to think about that.

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry. It's hard to be the only responsible one in the neighborhood. Perhaps something will change for the better for you. It could happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What are you talking about, the most responsible one in neighborhood. i don't have dogs, but many neighbors do and those dogs don't bark constantly at someone in next yard when they're out. Nobody wants dogs barking a few feet from them, when they're in their own yard. Unless you are deaf.

      Delete

Sun Coming

 Sun is supposed to come to us finally here in Oregon.   It's been pouring last few days, today included. At first, the weather stations...