Sunday, April 28, 2024

Dog Days Behind a 7-11

 I spent five or six hours Saturday night behind the 7-11 again, after unfixed cats there.

Woohoo, what an exciting life I live.  Wow.  I bet everyone is jealous.

Off and on, the rain poured down.  This made it hard to see who was who through the rain splattered windshield.  One lens of my binoculars wouldn't focus.  Part of it fell off, broken, in my car.   How'd that happen, I wondered.   

Homeless folk roamed around my car, into the dumpster area and behind 7-11.   

Unleashed dogs did same.  One ate any cat food I had out and sprung a trap twice.

I was resigned to a futile effort.

I was using the drop trap and by now couldn't tell who was fixed and who wasn't, in the dark and rain.  I yanked it down over a black cat and unbelievably, he or she isn't fixed.   I next yanked it down over a lynx point, this time knowing this one wasn't fixed by the way it walked and size.

I left at 11:00 or so, after enduring a bit of a scare with a homeless guy crashing around by the dumpsters a few feet from me yelling into the air, yelling to himself, breaking things, wasn't sure I'd get out of there without being assaulted.   I grabbed the drop trap up, spilled cat food in my rush to get out of there and safe.

This morning I went back, since I have five spots tomorrow.  One goes to a Lebanon female, left behind by her people, tiny, can't survive and a Lebanon lady scooped her up but she needs fixed before a friend of hers will take her in.   Another spot goes to a prolific Albany female.  Coincidentally, because these two individuals don't even know one another, both cats, one black and one a black tux, are named Lilith.   

So anyhow, with the two from the 7-11, and two more in trouble females, I had one more spot and wanted to get another 7-11 cat fixed.  So on up I went.  Once again to sit for hours, but in the end, I caught another.  A little black one, not much more than a kitten.  I didn't have her on my list of cats needing fixed there, but I'm usually there after dark and how would I know.

Anyhow, off I go with five to the clnic tomorrow.  I guess I will get only about five, maybe six, appointments next month in its entirety, so I can't waste a single spot.   And I won't.  Not tomorrow anyhow.

The rain came down today once again.  And will for another week at least.  It is depressing.  Everyone talks about how wet and icky this winter has been, even my brother talks about finally leaving Oregon behind.  And my neighbor and several friends.  The worst winter, the longest wettest ickiest dreariest.....I'll stop now.  Will it ever end?


6 comments:

  1. Well done. Of course you won't waste a single spot. And thank you for all your hard work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're too precious, those spots!

      Delete
  2. I can only imagine how the constant rain wears on you. I don't know if I would have had the nerve to wait it out behind the 7-11. Sounds pretty sketchy. BTW, how does a cat walk so you can tell that they aren't fixed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was sketchy. I bet I looked sketchy there too to people. the Lynx point did not walk like the unfixed male lynx point, who swaggers some and the other cats vanish in his wake. nor did this one slink a bit, low to ground, like the fixed lynx point female. This one walked with confidence and the other cats did not run at approach.

      Delete
  3. So you have Lilith 1 & Lilth 2? Or do they get middle names?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had Lilith A (for Albany) and Lilith L (for Lebanon).

      Delete

Sunday

 Sunday I was so slow getting going after the late night Saturday. But after cleaning litterboxes, giving KMR to kittens, feeding the ferals...