Tuesday, April 23, 2024

Trip to Beach

 My Lebanon friend who gets so carsick, said she was going to the coast yesterday, did I want to go too.

Of course I did.  She has to drive and drive her truck, because even when she drives she gets carsick.  She has to stop often.  Can't drive crooked roads either.

Consequently she doesn't go anywhere far really ever.  The coast road to Newport however has been straightened and its actually a fast drive now, from here to there, on very good road.  So now and then, she'll brave that route.

We left about noon and were back by 6:00 p.m.

We stopped by Olalla Reservoir.  My neighbors have gone there a couple times.   Its owned and kept up by Georgia Pacific.   Its a few miles off the highway, up a narrow two laner.   

It's beautiful forest surrounded but very small, about the size of Cheadle Lake, the old mill pond usually water weed and algae clogged, outside Lebanon.  Only this small reservoir is not water weed clogged.  There's a nice beach and picnic area, but its not big enough to be somewhere I'd drive almost an hour to kayak there unless with a picnic group.

We drove into Newport then and south across the Yaquina Bay bridge to Ona Beach.  At Ona Beach, you park, then walk a trail, maybe a quarter mile, cross Beaver Creek, to the ocean.   The beach is broad and flat.  Beaver Creek meanders into the ocean to the right.   

There was a lot of wind and the wind picked up sand and was scouring my face, hair, clothes, teeth. It was supposed to get up to 61 on the coast and maybe it did.  It was sunny but that wind!   I'd brought my kite and flew it for awhile.  I've had the kite for a decade at least.  



Then I just sat against a log on the sand and watched other people arrive and leave.  Very few other people braved the wind to be on the beach.  The sand was full of long dead jelly fish velella velalla, or wind sailors.  They'd been dead long enough to no longer stink at all and were dried up.

Ona Beach looking north

Ona Beach looking south

But one older man walked by us, said he was going to fly his kite.  He'd locked his electric bike up on the bridge.  He had a stunt kite, two hand controls, lots of strings.  He could bring that kite to inches off the sand, stand it on end there, swoop it back up.   It was fun to watch.   Electric bikes are becoming common to see.  They're great for hilly areas and for older folk or anyone really but they are also terribly expensive.



After we left Ona Beach we drove south a couple more miles to Seal Rock.  Much of the area was fenced now, to keep the destructive useless vandals from destroying more and from harrassing wildlife, but the viewpoints of the rocks, where sea birds nest and harbor seals haul out, were great.  I had my binoculars and could see seal covered rocks out beyond the closer chain of larger rocks.  When the wind was just right, I could hear them too.  


That flat rock farther out is where the seal action was going down.  It was covered in seals.


The little town area named Seal Rock is one of those artsy clever name places.





After we left Seal Rock, we drove back to Newport then on home.   

16 comments:

  1. Oh, I wish I could walk into one of these scenes. It's gorgeous. Your kite is cuter than a stunt kite. ;) My boyfriend bought one when we visited California in 1988 and it was cool to fly. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I enjoy flying my kite. It's zen like, or something. I agree my kite is cuter!

      Delete
  2. That's terrible that your friend gets so carsick. That would be so hard, not able to go anywhere because of that. It sounds like a lovely day out, even if it was cold and windy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never run into anyone else in my life that gets carsick even if she drives herself. I'm sure its very debilitating, as far going anywhere, which she says she rarely does, go anywhere, outside of around town. That would be hard. It was a lovely day, despite the cold wind. The sun was out, but no heat from it.

      Delete
  3. That looks and sounds like a wonderful day. I would have loved to have been there with you and your friend (despite the sand in your teeth).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that would have been fun. I had sand in everything, had to wash my purse and my phone briefly quit working until I got the sand out of it.

      Delete
  4. Looks like a beautiful day at the beach. I like your kite better, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's lasted for about ten years already and still looking good!

      Delete
  5. What a nice trip with so much to see. I prefer your kite to the more complicated model. The sea crashing on rocks is never boring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We went three places and only stayed a short while at the third, Seal Rock, due to the piercing cold wind, but I could have sat on the sand at Ona Beach for a very long while or even taken a nap amongst the dried out long dead velellas.

      Delete
  6. I enjoyed this post so much! We haven't been to Newport in years. We're closer to Seaside, Cannon Beach, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love the beaches up there too. If I'm not too tired when I drive cats over to the affordable clinic in Astoria, I go to some beach for the day. I really like the walk to Short Sand Beach down in Oswald West. Beautiful old growth! And when the tide is low, I love to explore the tide pools, particularly on the north side there. Also I like the hike to the top at Ecola state park there in Canon Beach. The view of Terrible Tilly lighthouse is great from the top. There's a cabin for coast trail hikers at the top too where I have been known to nap a couple hours.

      Delete
  7. My husband and his sister was over to Lebanon. I didn't go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why would they go to Lebanon?

      Delete
  8. Beautiful area, thanks for sharing. Definitely kite-flying weather! I feel for your friend. I've had motion sickness my entire life, and it can be miserable. I usually do fine when I drive. Don't even get me near a boat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was perfect for kite flying. I got carsick when I was little but suddenly it just ended and now I even sleep better if rocking easily or wildly, in my raft. I don't know what changed. I feel for people like my friend, like you, who get motion sickness. She is quite disabled by it in that she can't really travel much, even if she is driving herself. I asked if she can do trains, not that we have trains around here that are affordable or go places affordably (you still have to be able to pay for other ways to get around once you arrive somewhere by train and have no car you can sleep in, rather than pay out for a hotel). She said in her 20's she rode a train, and the fact she could walk around, maybe it more doable. She can't even float on an inner tube on the lake, let alone be on a kayak or any sort of boat.

      Delete

Back to 7-11

 I already have 3 cats here, waiting for placement from 7-11, with Silverton Cat Rescue barn cat program. The two girls--Eleven and Petunia,...