Tuesday, April 02, 2024

A Whole Lot of Cats

 The 5 cats fixed Monday, from the Sweet Home 7-11 colony, turned out to be four boys and one girl, Elvira, the black, being the girl.

Late Monday, I got asked by the clinic if I'd like three more spots today.  I was so tired, but I could not resist.  I already had five spots today at Friends of Felines clinic.   I already had three cats on hand for the 5 FOF spots, whom I trapped on Sunday.   I had Twilight, a black sex unknown.  I had Sushi, the young roundish Siamese and I had Tuna, a black and white friendly I also had trapped Sunday at the colony.   

I meant to pick up the tabby girl, that the store manager caught there and the black girl caught by the woman and teenager there a couple days prior to round out the five lucky 7-11 cats to be fixed.  But now, with three more spots......The woman of the pair had a second all black she'd caught there, Elvira being the first.  So I figured I'd get her too, then trap two more, for the three exta spots.

Off I went last night, too tired already, drove the 40 minutes south and east to Sweet Home.   What an idiot I can be, for spay neuter spots.

Prior to the arrival of the woman/teenager pair, at the colony site, I thought with two black females, I collected the tabby girl from the store manager and set traps out back of the store to hopefully catch two more colony cats to take.  I quickly caught yet another black (named her Pandora), and then finally Thumper, the young tabby tux I'd been after.   

Then up rolled the woman/teenager in the woman's van.  They had the teen's black female from the colony but not the black female the woman had held since she'd trapped her.   Ok, she tells me the cat broke out of the cage she was in and now is lost somewhere in her house and overstuffed with junk garage.

I felt sick.   The cat is pregnant, scared and now hiding in a garage so stuffed the woman can't go in and look for her.   These things happen however.  Not only that, but this woman has five or six other unfixed cats in the house/garage, and they've been with her a year maybe, and remained unfixed.   But she did bring along one of the unfixed ones--a massive boy, whom she'd caught when he was just a teen over at the reservoir with a colony there she feeds.  Ok, at least he'd get done.

I came home and was up til near midnight, settling the boys down, who were fixed Monday, feeding them, and labeling the other 8.  It's quite a job to manage along with care for my cats and the daily cleaning here.

This morning, I took 8 cats to two clinics, all but one from the 7-11 colony.  I first dropped off Tama, Starlite and Smokey Joe, the boy from the reservoir, at the OHSS clinic, then drove on to Keizer with the other five to the Friends of Felines clinic.   I got some coffee, came home, then loaded the ones fixed yesterday into my car and returned them all the way to Sweet Home.   I got back about noon from all this and went directly to bed.  A friend picked up all 8 later in the day and delivered the three who have people to recuperate them back to Sweet Home.  Five are recuperating for the night here.

Among these 8, there were three boys.  Smokey Joe, of course, but Sushi, the little Siamese, I had been sure was a girl---Not.  Sushi's a boy.  So was Twilight.  The rest were girls and most were pregnant girls.   

Tomorrow will mark the end of my trapping efforts there for at least a few days.  I'll return four to the colony and the fifth, tame girl Tuna is lucky and has a woman previously involved with the colony, gettting kittens homes, to take her in and find her a home.  I'm so grateful to those who help these cats there.  

It;s only 9:00 p.m. and I'm heading right back to bed.  After sleeping 3 hours this afternoon.  Getting old.  These five were fixed at the Friends of Felines clinic.

This is Pandora.  She's very pretty actually and half tame, small white chest spot.  I have her in a large cage with Tuna and wish someone would take her in.

Sushi, who turned out to be a young crypt orchid male.

This is Thumper, a young tabby tux female.  

This is lucky Tuna, who has someone willing to foster and find a home for her.

And this is beautiful Twilight, a boy too

These three were fixed at the OHSS clinic.  I'm very grateful to both clinics.

Starlite, one of the tame ones from the colony, whom the cat loving teenager is keeping

Tama, the tabby girl, from the colony the store manager caught and just loves

Here's the massive boy Smokey Joe, originally from over by a boat ramp, far side of the reservoir, his mom, I'm told, was dumped there.  Anyhow, the lady who fed him as a kitten and now has him in her home was so happy to finally get him fixed.  He's super soft too.

Ok, done now.  Really happy to get so many fixed fast at the Sweet Home colony, but there are at least 6 still needing caught there, and likely more than that.

9 comments:

  1. Not age, but being super, super busy. Well done - and your tiredness is totally deserved. Thank you. Again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lost count of how many cats your caught and had fixed. You seem to have good relationships with the various cat desexing places and there seems to be quite a few. I'd be interested to know how it works for you, how you build relationships with receptionists and vets, whether they treat you with respect for the unpaid work you do?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love what the clinics do so its easy for me to respect staff who work at them. People who work at high volume spay neuter clinics are on my same wavelength. 15 cats fixed since last Friday, is the recent count. 14 of them from the 7-11 colony. I usually do not use the Keizer clinic because it costs more for ferals but it was necessary this time. Cost effective in fact. Later in the summer, there would have been four or five times as many cats there. I just didn't want to deal with that later on.

      Delete
  3. I got tired just reading about your efforts. You are doing a very important thing, but don't forget to take care of yourself, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that you must take care of yourself, my dear. ~hugs~ Awesome work, though!

      Delete
  4. I also got tired, hear all you do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No wonder you're tired. It's good that you have some help with these.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all you do. I'm sure it probably feels like a thankless job from time to time.

    ReplyDelete

Five Cats Fixed Yesterday

 Two Liliths from two towns were fixed yesterday.  Coincidence?  I guess. This Lilith is from Lebanon and was left behind by her people at a...