Friday, April 05, 2024

Wandering Wolverine


First, Pandora, from 7-11 colony, still here, very sweet, looking for rescue/shelter placement.   Today I moved her to my bathroom from the garage cage.  She's developed a seroma under her incision site and am waiting to see what the clinic who fixed her thinks I should do for it. She was going to be fixed and returned but then I realized when she got back from her spay surgery and was talking in the trap, that she too is one of the tame ones.  The colony is a mix, since they originated with a hoarder next to the 7-11.

 Wolverines in Oregon are rarely seen.  They are secretive and generally out of sight in the mountain regions of the state.  And very rare.

However, one wolverine is on the move apparently.   Seen three times near Nehalem on the coast, after being seen along the Columbia River farther east.  Then it was seen in Newport.  And today, video of the poor fella running down a residential street in Eugene.   

Will he make it out of Eugene alive?  With all those cars and gawkers?   Don't know.

Here's a news story on the first coastal sightings.

There are several news stories just up about the Eugene sightings.  Hope he makes it out alive, although I never want to meet a wolverine close up and personal.   Learned from childhood to make myself scarce if ever I was to encounter one.

Here's the best Eugene video of the wolverine I think.



16 comments:

  1. I do hope he makes it. A lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really can't see this ending well.

      Delete
    2. He's on the far side of the Willamette but he could swim the Willamette and circle back towards the Cascades, cutting through Albany on the way, or maybe he'll just head east now, from Eugene, back into the mountains. Afterall, he was in Newport, came through the coast range to Eugene, so he's off the coast, but where to next? Back into the southern coast mountains, near the Umpqua maybe, or will he now head east back into the Cascades, his native turf? Or the turf we think should be his home ground.

      Delete
  2. I thought Wolverine was going to be the name of one of your rescue cats, but it was about a real wolverine! I hope he can make it to safety, too. Maybe some wildlife management type can trap it and return it to a safe environment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll just say I will not volunteer for that trapping gig.

      Delete
  3. It's not good when they make it to human towns. I've got to wonder what pushed this one out of the wilderness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It isn't and it seems incredibly odd to be seen in SO MANY Oregon towns on its journey to where and for what? These are high mountain secretive shy animals, but....not this one.

      Delete
  4. I had to Google wolverine. This is enough for me, "has a reputation for ferocity and strength out of proportion to its size". The question of fight or flight is a no brainer. Flee, but not to the hills.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what we learned about them as children and it was enough to keep me wary of them for life.

      Delete
  5. I was shocked to learn that you ever see wolverines in your state. Best wishes to you and all your rescues. ~hugs~ Be well, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My boyfriend and I saw tracks once out in the mountains while cross country skiing. Long time ago. He said we should report them, that he thought the wildlife department wanted to know if tracks are seen, so he might have done that at least. They're usually not seen, and in the high mountains. ODFW says this one is young and dispersing to find its own territory, but its hitting all these Oregon towns, not mountain ranges. Seems odd. Hope he or she finds what they're looking for soon. Hope its not my backyard.

      Delete
    2. Ooh, I hope the animal isn't rabid. Stay safe!

      Delete
  6. I hear there is wolverine here in North Idaho. Have never seen them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Northern Idaho is part of their range, I believe.

      Delete
  7. Saw some video of him on Channel 2's amateur hour news tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really strange to see a wolverine running down a residential street.

      Delete

Five Cats Fixed Yesterday

 Two Liliths from two towns were fixed yesterday.  Coincidence?  I guess. This Lilith is from Lebanon and was left behind by her people at a...