Wednesday, March 13, 2024

Weather Letdown

 We were promised four days over 70 degrees.   Ha!   

Now the weather apps are showing only one day, where we just get to 70.  I hope the apps are wrong.


Today maybe 52.  Tomorrow only 60 when I thought tomorrow it would be over ten degrees warmer.

Gripe.  Gripe.

I drove the four cats fixed Monday back to Brownsville this morning.  Turned on my phone dash cam, as I passed the first 90 degree corner five miles down 7 Mile from highway 34, on the way.   What memories I have of that seed warehouse and catman Roger.   I caught over 200 cats there, all told.  Miss Daisy was the last cat I took from there.  Roger found her in a ditch out by the road.  Her paw pads were burned from walking the hot pavement.   That was over 20 years ago.  Roger sold the warehouses and now they're more modern and pristine but without the character of Roger and his crew.

I've run into him a few times since.  Once was at the Habitat store and another time, at McDonalds when I inquired about his partner and he told me, like I already knew, that they were bringing her home today.  I had no idea her cancer had returned and he was bringing her home to die. 

 It put a lump in my throat and I didn't know what to say.  I haven't seen him since that day at McDonalds.  I spent so much time at those seed warehouses out on Seven Mile, often at night.  I'd open a door to go inside a dark musty equipment filled building and startle bats who would fly out flicking my hair as they passed.  I'd climb the stacks of bagged seed nearly to the rafters with my net, after wild kittens.  I'd nap,when exhausted, on full seed bags and found them to make a very comfortable bed.  Almost as comfortable as the hay, stacked in bales in barns where I'd trap and stop to nap a few hours.   I still can't pass a barn without a yearning, that comes over me, for a lazy nap nestled in the hay.  Those old days memories make me think---bare bones trapping, a net and a trap, alone in barns and seed warehouses, livestock barns and ancient trailer parks, just me and the cats, complete trust bestowed on me by farmers, seedsters, just people--what a great life I've had.

Roger called that first corner the Darwin corner, takes out the idiots he said.   Lots of wrecks there.  Once I petsat for a guy when my own car was broken down.  He loaned me his corvette.  People looked at me different when I drove it.  I took it out on Seven Mile and opened it up.   I knew I'd probably never get to drive a car like that again.  I slowed down way before that 90 degree corner.  



Lot of Linn County cats will get fixed this week.   Monday I took in five.  Tomorrow I take in six or seven more.   A friend of mine in Sweet Home is driving up ten or twelve for a couple people up there today to FCCO.  I'm loaning my traps out Friday to a Lebanon woman taking up 12 Saturday.  And I might get five more Monday spots in Salem.

Gigi likes to sit on my lap.   She also likes to knead when she's on my lap.  That can be painful.


I went to an afternoon movie with my neighbor yesterday.  She had been going to see the movie on Saturday with another friend of hers but that friend got sick.  She already had the two tickets and got them changed to passes, so she could use them later.   

We saw Cabrini.   Cabrini was a remarkable woman, a nun, with amibition in the male dominated church.  She created a network of hospitals and orphanages, run by the Catholic women, all over the world, beginning her service in New York, for Italian immigrants.  The movie was not that good, I didn't think, and was very long.   I wanted to like it but I didn't.  

The first issue we encountered in the theater was when my neighbor wanted popcorn.  The prices were not posted.  I wouldn't post them either if I was charging as much as they do for it there.  She wanted to get a refillable popcorn container because she goes to the movies often and thought it would be cheaper long run, to get the container she could then bring with her and have filled for a much lower price.  

Then we were not told which theater the movie was in, once inside.  And the seats are flipped up and don't stay down when you push them down, which was hard for her to navigate, in the dark of the theater, with her cane in one hand.  She is disabled, has severe mobility issues due to neuropathy.   Has to be frustrating when nothing is easy.

Then some man pushed by me, once we were in our seats.  I didn't even see him coming. We were in seats near the aisle.  There were vacant seats everywhere but I guess he wanted to be in the center in the row we were in.   There is nowhere to sit popcorn except on the floor and in his rush to get by us, he smashed my plastic container of popcorn with one foot.  She had given me some of hers, in a tray she got at concession.  

Once we left the theater, I couldn't stop laughing over all the misadventures in just getting in and seated, the unbelievably high price of simple popcorn, and the man smashing my popcorn and not even noticing.  Also, the movie sound had been so loud, I had to cover my ears part of the time.  

I was very happy when the whole experience was over and I was out of there.





13 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that the weather isn't cooperating. So frustrating!

    I find so many faith-based movies aren't all they could be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe the weather apps will be wrong. Yeah a lot of disappointing movies lately. I went to see Wonka with her a few months back and it was so awful we left.

      Delete
  2. I've never slept on hay, but you make it sound as nice as it seems in the movies. Speaking of which, I haven't been in a movie theater in years. Hopefully, the next time you to you will like the movie better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to sleep in hay, alone in a barn. Good luck if you go to the movies. I have been twice in the last year and both movies have been really terrible. In the fact the first one, Wonka, we walked out of it was so lousy.

      Delete
    2. This one also was lousy and if I had been alone, would have left after the first half hour.

      Delete
  3. Initially, my weather app was showing 89 degrees for Friday. I'm very glad they downgraded that to a much more reasonable temperature.

    They (theater owners, movie companies) complain that people aren't going out to the movies, but they make it so difficult for people. It's way nicer to see the movies at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No kidding its easier and more pleasant to see movies at home now. My weather app says its 53 here.

      Delete
  4. We have a Cabrini Hospital here, St Francis Xavier Cabrini to be more accurate, no doubt named after her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, your weather app was way off. No wonder you feel cheated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it got just to about 60 yesterday but should be 67 today and 68 or 69 Saturday.

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry your movie experience was poor but glad you at least got out. Blessings, my dear, upon you and all your saved kitties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah at least I got out and we had something to laugh about afterwards, the experience being as it was.

      Delete

The Blues

 The blues have taken hold.  The weather turned to crap after two decent days.  Well only one of those days turned out warm, without the win...