Monday, March 11, 2024

Back at It

 Cat round up time.   I waited til yesterday afternoon to begin and it worked out fine.

We've had wild windy rainy cold weather last few days.   Saturday night, the high gusting winds woke me several times.  Their noise created dreams, like once I thought I was walking down a railroad track and the train was coming and I needed to move off the tracks but my feet were soooo sluggish.   A loud bang woke me, and I realized it was just the wind howling like a train again and went back to sleep.

I did not catch Bob.   The only time I"ve seen him was briefly yesterday morning, chasing some other cat in my backyard.   I set the trap all day, in a wooden box, which protected it from rain and wind, but caught nobody.

So I went to Brownsville and very quickly, maybe in under five minutes, caught four cats.   Two of them had rushed, very hungry, into one trap together.   Their caregiver had done well in making sure they were hungry before I arrived.  He believes there are seven others needing fixed besides these four.

These four all seem fairly young.  Three tabby on whites and a black tux.  All short hair.

Later on, I went over to Lebanon and picked up a young lynx point long hair.  He was born a stray, but a couple living at the complex want to claim him as theirs.  Hurray for that.  Except he needs neutered.  So he is up at the  clinic too.

There are more cats there at that complex who need fixed.

Anyway, our weather is supposed to clear up Wednesday.  Then Thursday and Friday may be unseasonably different--in the low 70's.  Everyone is talking about it and looking forward to it.  Can you believe a sunny warm day or even two might be coming?

Anticipation is very high.    

We're all sick of the wet.

I have my hands free phone holder now rigged securely enough to act as a dash cam.   This video is from yesterday afternoon, Seven Mile Lane down to Brownsville to catch some cats.


All three tabby on whites were girls, one pregnant, two in heat.  The black tux, Thunder, being the only boy.  The lynx Point, Soso, from Lebanon, had terrible paw pad problems.  The clinic warned me when I told them to check his paws, after his caretakers said he had thorns in two of his feet, that it could be pillow paws.  But they could not figure out what it was, they said, when I picked him up.  The skin of his toe pads sloughed off when they washed them and the dead skin even had fur in it.  This is likely burns, on all four feet?   Or frostbite, from that ice storm?  They didn't know.   He's home now and they will try to care for him.  The clinic offered very compassionately to take him in under medical relinquishment if need be, so I told the caretakers that.   They love  him so we shall see if he can heal.

The clinic didn't think its pillow paws, because it presented more like burns.  

But having had frostbite myself, I immediately thought that.  However hair imbedded in dead skin is much more likely with burns.



11 comments:

  1. We're supposed to warm up this week, too. Great on catching some young cats. The younger the better, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, younger the better. I've got my sunglasses out, my shorts ready, just watching the sky now, for the changearoo. Ha. Not til Thursday.

      Delete
  2. That works great as a dash cam and good driving music to go with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really happy to have it secured now. It hangs from the rearview mirror.

      Delete
  3. I never thought of that. If you mount your camera high enough, it is just like a dashcam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have one that hangs from rear view mirror.

      Delete
  4. It been over cast mostly here in North Idaho.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It should be not raining starting today.

      Delete
  5. I hope the weather doesn't disappoint!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we're all so excited around here!

      Delete
  6. I'm sorry so many kitties suffer paw issues. Thank you for taking care the best you can. ~hugs~ Blessings, my dear.

    ReplyDelete

Five Cats Fixed Yesterday

 Two Liliths from two towns were fixed yesterday.  Coincidence?  I guess. This Lilith is from Lebanon and was left behind by her people at a...