Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Little Boy Kitten Nursing on Dead Mom

 Last night, I saw a post late, about a kitten seen, out way rural, but on a busy two lane road.   The kitten was nursing on a dead female cat, hit by a car, presumed to be his mom.   A bunch of people had already gone out looking for the kitten.  I figured they'd find the kitten, if there was one, and that would be that.

But noon today, I looked for updates and saw that the kitten had not been caught.  So I messaged the woman who posted it, then I went out this evening, just at dark and set a kitten trap after I found a very used small animal trail other side of road from the dead female cat.  The trail led down into the ditch, through a fence and into heavy brush.  

I tossed some tuna across the ditch into the brush and along the trail and turned on a youtube sound only video of mother cat calls.   Then I walked back down the road, with mother cat sounds still playing to get the trap and bait from my car, which I'd had to park 1/4 mile away, for safety, on that very dangerous race track road.

I set the trap, covered it in tall grasses, and went back to my car to wait an hour before checking it again.  

When I walked back up the road, this time in pouring rain, to my shock, the trap was sprung and there was a kitten inside.  I set another trap, in case there was another.   The people who had seen the kitten had seen just the one.

I walked with the trap, kitten inside, back to my car again, to wait another hour.  The kitten ate more food as I walked with him in the trap.  He is one hungry kitten!

Nobody else sprung the trap in the next hour, so I subbed out a bucket for the trap, on its side, and left food inside it, in case there is another.  At least the food is rain protected.  

We're getting pounding rain, wind and heavy snow in the Cascades tonight, down to near 1000 feet above sea level, or even lower.  Who knows.

On the way home, the winds whipped around my square little car, pushing it this way and that.

Once home, I took the kitten out of the trap and cuddled him in a blankee and fed him KMR by syringe and made over him.  He has an extremely loud purr, that's for sure.   He'd eaten a lot by then and I knew he was sleepy so I tucked him away in a carrier for the night, in my bathroom.

I don't know if he's wild or not, I can't tell these things because I just pretend they're not and treat them like a very lost scared little child who needs comfort and a full belly and a warm bed and sleep.

He really loves his KMR, that's for sure.  At first I gave it to him by syringe, then let him have the bowl, which he emptied.  After that, he belched a couple times and got very sleepy.


He has an amazing purr, very loud!

I think he's very sweet.  I'll find a rescue willing to take him, but for now he's in my bathroom.

I'm happy I saw that post so I could go catch him.  I got my exercise too.


12 comments:

  1. Once again, thanks for what you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was very rewarding Bill, warmed my heart.

      Delete
  2. Well done you. It seems your skills made it an easy catch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Andrew. Yes, it was easy.

      Delete
  3. Thank goodness, what a happy ending. I almost didn't read the whole post because the image of a kitten nursing on its dead mother was just too disturbing. But you came in and saved the day. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was awful to think about, which is the reason I went out there.

      Delete
  4. I'm SO glad your story had a happy ending!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, and he's headed up to Meow Village later today.

      Delete
  5. The title almost made me sick to my stomach and definitely brought tears. Thank you for giving him a chance at life. You rock, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was disturbing to read that in the post I'd seen. He's now up with Meow Village.

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you were able to find him.

    ReplyDelete

15 Cats

 I'm taking 15 cats up to be fixed at the FCCO in the morning. 9 are from the 12th street Lebanon colony while the other six are from th...