Saturday, December 23, 2023

Saturday

 I tried today to change the car spark plugs.   Turns out they're kind of used up.  The two I got out successfully have extreme gap because there's no protruding center electrode left.   The gap between is not really measurable as its too wide, maybe 2.5 mm when my gap is supposed to be .8 mm.  I  don't even see how the car runs at all with these plugs the way they are.

The new and the old


Anyhow, after I changed out two, the car started rather easily, first try, a little sputtering.  But I couldn't change the other two, because they're stuck.  I tried spraying WD-40 down in there.  I tried rocking back and forth trying to turn one way, then the other.   Nothing doing.  I don't want to crack or break them.  That would be a nightmare.

So I put it all back together and tomorrow I'll try another way suggested on youtube and if that doesn't work, I'll just have to wait it out.  Or drive it as is with two good ones in there, and it does run much better even with two new ones.

I don't have the best spark plug wrench for getting leverage.

Anyhow, when I was leaned over the car trying to get the plugs out, a piece of the bumper was wedging right under my left knee cap and suddenly my knee cap dislocated to the inside.   That was scream inducing.    I was able to pop it back in place by straightening and relaxing my leg.   Then it happened a second time a few minutes later when I'd gone back to leaning in and over the engine compartment.  So there was another round of yelping, then it went back into place again.  After that I decided I'd not work on the car anymore for now.  The ligaments are sore now, that are attached to it.   This has happened before.  I tried to tell the doctor once that it happens to me but I don't think he ever believed me.  It is a little freaky.

Other than that, I haven't done anything else really, but clean.    Been behind awhile on that.

Very quiet on the block here, maybe some people have gone away for the holidays, don't know.



8 comments:

  1. A BIG ouch on your knee. Take care of yourself. Please.
    And I do hope that the remaining spark plugs come out easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems fine this morning, my knee. I wish those final two plugs would come out.

      Delete
  2. That's quite the picture. No wonder your car had a hard time starting. I continue to be amazed at your handiness in all areas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. It's all youtube. I watch DIY videos constantly.

      Delete
  3. I concur with EC and L&L. You're so inspiring like the various other intrepid, creative, and determined folks I'm proud to know. ~hugs~ Your definition of fine and mine are likely very different. lol Hugs, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Probably not a lot different, our definitions. Thanks for all the nice things you said.

      Delete
  4. Ouch. Glad that the problem appears to be the spark plugs, but not good that you injured yourself while fixing it. My mother could dislocate anything with minimal effort, but she had genetic syndrome that made her prone to it. Rest your knee. Ouch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's not much left of that kneecap from wear and tear. It's severely worn. I kind of need a new kneecap actually. If I ever get that knee replaced, the knee doctor said I get a new knee cap with that.

      Delete

Last Trip to Lake?

 I went to the lake yesterday.  It was supposed to get up to near 80 by late afternoon.  I checked the reservoir level first, to make sure I...