Wednesday, September 06, 2023

Sandal Failure

 Darla posted about fixing her thongs.  Which made me wonder if anyone has some ideas on how to fix my plastic sandals.  

I haven't had them that long but have worn them every single day since about May.

The strap has velcro on the end, which attaches to a velcro strip sewn through the plastic.  This allows me to quickly get in and out of them and to make sure the strap across the front of my ankle is snug.

Alas, the velcro on the sandal itself pulled off, when I was releasing the strap.

This is what the sewn velcro strip should look like.

This is what happened, it pulled off.

I tried fixing it with super glue, clamping it afterwards for 24 hours.  But it pulled off again within a day.  I have no idea how one would apply a new strip and sew it through that heavy plastic.   

Does anyone have any ideas?  These sandals are light, easy to get on and off, a pretty color and also they float.  I like them.


9 comments:

  1. I am clueless if glue didn't work. Sewing through that heavy plastic would be a challenge and going to a shoe repair place would probably cost more than a new pair of shoes. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's not going to happen. To do it originally, the company who makes them must one industrial strength machine.

      Delete
  2. Don't give up on glue. Smear a thin layer on on the top of the sole and the underside of the straps. Put the sandals on and wait fifteen minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think something better than dollar store super glue might be in order. I'll try again.

      Delete
    2. I'm thinkiing back support to that strip, rather than have it face the entire force when I pull off the strap. I'll get some new velcro and cut it so I can have loops around it.

      Delete
  3. How about shoe glue.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can send you some new Velcro strips if it would help. We have some unused portions and your solution crossed my mind, as well. :D Likewise, let me know if you'd like me to post your issue for further suggestions. Right now it's near midnight here and I'm super sleepy. lol Best wishes, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry, no ideas. Maybe wrap something around the piece?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck. I don't have anything to add to the suggestions above.

    ReplyDelete

Sun Coming

 Sun is supposed to come to us finally here in Oregon.   It's been pouring last few days, today included. At first, the weather stations...