Thursday, December 08, 2022

Raining Cats

 I caught three cats at the Blue Ox colony last night, where before, a year ago, even on Christmas day, I caught twenty some, although 8 or so were kittens who went elsewhere after fixing.  

I heard there were more there, via a post on a facebook page, someone wondering about kittens.  I call both feeders, both of whom knew about the kittens, neither of whom had told me.

Ah well.

I went out, in the rain, waded through the ditch, not too much water in it yet, set traps, caught two kittens and an unfixed adult.   The main feeder has the flu, so I can't actually get him to sign the form needed so hopefully I can sign for him.

I don't want to catch the flu.  I'll go try for some more later today.

This morning, I went to the Scravel colony, a new one, a desperate one.  Man is elderly and there are lots of cats, and not a prayer of him registering with the FCCO I don't think.   So how in the world to get them all done.

At least some will be fixed Saturday, via the vet students I know, a different one than the one catching the cats in Harrisburg.  The clinic one of them works for is going to get ten or so of them fixed.  HCC will pay the cost, plus four teens from a feral mom up near Sweet Home.  They got the feral mom fixed at a cost of over $300 and they can't afford to get the teens fixed that way.  Who could?

I went and caught 13 cats in ten minutes at the Scravel colony.  I couldn't set the traps fast enough.  All while fending off a very aggressive rooster, who has hurt people, the old man said, so be careful, whack him with a stick if you need to, he says to me.  Didn't need to.  Used my net and a towel to keep him from raking me with those spurs of his.

I'm kind of brain dead now, after getting them all settled and the kittens from last night changed to clean cages.  

Five of the 16 cats here will be fixed tomorrow and the rest on Saturday.  I'll have more tonight, if I"m lucky on Blue Ox.  I'll just juggle around, figure it out.   

I only have pictures so far of seven of the thirteen Scravel cats here.  I'm naming by number.

One

Two

Three

Four

Five

Six

Seven

I could have caught all 40 or so cats out there if I'd had the spay neuter reservations and more traps.  But I don't have that kind of reservations or traps.  Settled for 13.  More than I meant to catch.   


Eight

Nine
Here are the Blue Ox kitties I've caught so far.
Bogie

Bug

Fish

Anyhow, be caring for a lot of cats over the weekend.  Five will return Saturday at least and the rest will be gone all day Saturday, while being fixed and I'll return them Sunday.    My friends in Sweet Home are going to try to tame Bug, for a home.   I'm really happy about that.

Ok, added all the photos.  Just taking a little break.

Ten

Eleven

Twelve

Thirteen
Ok, that's a days work, and ongoing, since I have to transfer them back and forth from dirty traps, to clean ones, tomorrow.  Anyhow, lots of work ahead but tomorrow five will get fixed.

11 comments:

  1. WELL DONE!!! And take a break. You need and deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew you would run out of cat names eventually. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next I'll be numbering them in different languages!

      Delete
  3. Wow, that's a lot of cats. How could the feeders not tell you about new kittens. I'd throw up my hands in frustration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sound like it surely rain cats.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, they're everywhere, that's for sure.

      Delete
  5. Wow. So many cats. I can barely add that high. I'm very impressed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't even try to add that high, would hurt the brain, lol, at least my brain tonight. Not up to it.

      Delete
  6. You are a true warrior for good. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete

Ten Extras

 I have ten extra cats in my garage. Nine are in traps, just brought over from the Scravel colony.    They are almost all orange tabbies, wi...