Friday, December 23, 2022

Ice!

 I couldn't go anywhere today.   The driveway and cul de sac have remained sheets of ice all day long.  

I think its finally warmed up to 32 and Eugene, south of here, is up to 37.  The warm south wind promised is finally making its way up the valley and pushing the cold air out.  Slowly.

I had expected warming by mid day today but that did not happen.  I haven't gone anywhere.  The Albany police sent out this text today:


Here are a couple photos of the car carnage, pulled off facebook, shared many times, too many to find who took the photos to acknowledge.

This one is near Lebanon, people just sliding off the slight incline into the ditch.  

This ones' from near Silverton, same thing.  

These scenes were repeated ad nauseum around the area.   I'm sure first responders were fed up with people attempting to drive.

This is how I got around, at least to go change out the hummingbird feeder and put out food for the birds, the only thing I did outside today.  Towel hopping I call it, hard to video it though using one hand while trying to move the towels with the other.  I've always "travelled" on ice in this manner.  Sometimes for surprising distances.


Cat yard did not collapse but it was quite weighted down with ice.

Driveway, carport, street---all sheets of ice.






Lots of people travel plans got messed up badly.   Trips, vacations, my goodness, people sleeping in airports with little kids, etc.    Not much a person can do about it.  I stayed inside all day, napped.  

16 comments:

  1. I think we will be getting freezing rain soon.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like it would be colder there where you are. Snow is beautiful and much easier to drive on, but ice---not so much on either account.

      Delete
  2. I am glad that you are sensible and safe.
    Napping sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was a fine day for me.

      Delete
  3. Wow, all that ice. I feel for you. Hundreds of crashes sound a lot for your city but when you have eleven in one pile up, the numbers would soon add up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a lot of crashes for one town.

      Delete
    2. Lots of car body repair shops will be busy for awhile.

      Delete
  4. Ice storms are so pretty but so dangerous. Very ingenious method for ice walking with the towels. Do you have hummingbirds all year long? We get them for a few months in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, all year around, ruby throats. I believe I only have two this winter. I usually don't feed them in the summer but if any are around in winter, out goes the feeder. There's nothing else they can eat really, in the winter around here.

      Delete
  5. Your towel hopping strategy is brilliant! As you no doubt know, rough ice isn't near so bad as sheet ice. I just keep my knees loose and walk slow. I'm sorry folks got stranded at airports and that emergency responders had to deal with so many foolishly attempting to drive. Stay safe and warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all warmed up this morning. Happy about that. I used to walk on ice with big socks pulled over my shoes, but I didn't go far yesterday and used the towels as it was extremely slick.

      Delete
  6. Stay safe! Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANKS and Merry Christmas to you!

      Delete
  7. Yup, definitely a day not to go anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  8. On the off-chance that you don't know, Trex (the lumber like material that one often sees on decks) is among the most treacherous surfaces on earth when icy, so please be especially careful when walking on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I treat decks like landmine zones all winter---I don't go near them. They are made to benefit the medical community!

      Delete

Five Cats Fixed Yesterday

 Two Liliths from two towns were fixed yesterday.  Coincidence?  I guess. This Lilith is from Lebanon and was left behind by her people at a...