Thursday, September 29, 2022

Old Entities

 There's a whole lot of old going on around here.

Like Comet for instance.  19 years old, skinny, possibly senile, follows me around crying for chicken.  Hates sub fluids, fyi.   Going to be the death of me, when his morning rambles around my moving feet send me headlong into something harder than my head.

Car. It's old.  Too many miles on that body, those moving suspension parts and that little motor.  But don't tell the car that.  It's still running around like a 40 year old on meth.

Lots of that around here.  Meth, that is.  Other drugs too.

Most of the dash lights are on constantly.  I've chosen to ignore them this time around, not having suitcases full of cash stuffed in walls around here.   Or anywhere else.

I choose to believe the dash light issue is related to the radio/CD player volume issue.  I can no longer adjust the volume.  The volume knob won't work.  I could maybe just remove that radio and pop off the stripped out outer knob and rig a fix.  But if I did that, and it was just stripped and not somehow related via electric short to the dash light issue, I might worry over those dash lights instead of thinking pleasantly its just a short in the dash wiring.

Sometimes when I get in the car and turn on the radio which is permanently tuned to my favorite local classic rock station the volume is at 20 and I think "what is that that's playing?" as 20 level volume is a little too soft to hear if the motor is running.   But sometimes when I get in and start the car, the volume level is blast your neighbors eardrums out over 50.  So....that's not normal for the volume level to shift around like that, I don't think.   That's why I'm hopeful there's something deeply wrong inside the dash and I want to believe this because then I can believe the dash lights are just a dash issue and not something worse.  

The block sometimes seems deserted since the house is still empty next door.   I only think that way because they were the people I'd see most.   I think the lady across from them is off somewhere.  She sometimes takes off with a friend or family but I generally never know that unless someone tells me.  If she had been gone she would have told the people who used to live next door, like I did, but they're long gone.  

There's been lots of people looking at the house and I was sure I heard agreements being made a few days back with a group of young folk and the property manager, and thought they'd be moving in.   Then yesterday I come home and there's white Prius in that driveway and as I get out of my car I hear talking, through my side fence, in the  backyard.  I peek through the fence holes, being quite nosy, and see two young girls, maybe in their 20's, in the backyard plus the old man who lives in the house on the other side of the empty house.  He is bending their ears big time.  I walked away from that, did not join in, but was half pleased to see he's out there telling potential renters stories and grilling them.  I couldn't stop laughing once in the house.  

I don't have any idea if its been rented by the group of young people or not.  I don't pay much attention anymore.   Lots of people driving by, going in and out of the backyard to check it out.  The lady across the street has a much better view.

It's been raining here last two days.  My gutter corner repair jobs leak like sieves.  This created a feeling I should confess to someone on how bad a job I must have done.  So here it is---they still leak.   I'll stick to my day job--litter scooping.

I did not mention myself as one of the old entities around here.  

Gas prices have gone up so much so fast I need anti depressants before going to a gas station.  That along with the ever climbing cat food prices are not enjoyable topics to consider.  We won't mention food price increases.  

Inflation is old!   Let's be over and done with it please.



15 comments:

  1. You do amazing jobs keeping things running with the help of YouTube. I hope this will continue with your car.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. So far so good, in just ignoring the dash lights.

      Delete
    2. I agree about your ingenuity! :D

      Delete
  2. I hear you on the old. And hope that inflation simmers down. For you and for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh, I hope it falters out and that prices go back down.

      Delete
  3. Ageing is sure different. When income is limited.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it sure is. You got to fix everything yourself and stretch everything out.

      Delete
  4. We had to stop feeding our cat Pro Plan and move him down to a house brand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still feed my crew Costco brand dry. It's cheap and pretty good quality and they love it. Every now and then someone donates a couple bags of Purina Proplan and they sure do like it and get spoiled until its gone but its way too expensive for common use.

      Delete
    2. I have a bunch of toothless oldies now who require wet food and man alive has that gone up and is still going up.

      Delete
  5. Yes, what is it with gas prices all of a sudden? The prices were falling! Oh well. Take care. Sorry your gutter fix didn't fix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, had high hopes it would fall below $4 per gallon here and now its shot way up.

      Delete
    2. I figured I may have blown it on the gutter corners. Had the issue on one corner with the wasps coming out, and I knew I didn't do a good finish there due to that.

      Delete
  6. I suspect you're right about the dash lights. 30 years ago, I drove a large Ryder truck from Minneapolis to Eugene. Near Beach, South Dakota, the "check engine light" came on. I made it to a service center, and slept overnight in the truck as I waited for the mechanic to get the part he said I needed. I forget what that part was, but he eventually said the problem was solved, so I set out again. Ten miles down the road, the damn light came back on, and this time, I just kept going, making it to Oregon with the light still burning. Of course, the problem with a hysterical warning light is that you might not know when something serious develops because your warning light already being on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most people tell me ignore the lights. I spent a good share of one Covid relief check trying to get those fixed before. Only to find, after I finally got the car back, a new light was now on, the airbag light, which wasn't on before i took it in, but has been since "the repair". Now its more lights. I will ignore them. My brother said put some black electric tape over them, to help keep from worrying over it. Ok.

      Delete

Round Up

Today is cat round up for tomorrow's five spots.  Two more came up from the vet student in Harrisburg late this morning.  Over 60 fixed ...