Sunday, August 21, 2022

The Unloved Little Family

 I'm not an adoption group.  I have to tell this almost every day to people, calling or messaging or texting, demanding I take their cats and sometimes LOTS of cats.

It's heartwrenching and hard on me.   People completely ignore my requests to not burden me with asking me to take their cats or remove unwanted cats.  It's a selfishness thing "I WANT and I don't care how it affects you".   That mentality.

Lady messages me, asks me to remove cats at a church fed by some neighbor lady.  Says she old.  Like that alone should make me do it.  Well, I'm several years older than she is.  So let's be careful with that word--old.

Again, I tell her I don't do adoptions and am on a break. 

I finally relent and go, when I get offered a spay spot for Monday.  Figure I'll just get the mom fixed.  But then the "old" lady claims the church pastor confronted her and says they have to all be gone.  I don't know if its the truth or she's manipulating me too.    I never know.  I did nearly have a break down when she announced this to me this morning.   

On the way over this morning, to trap them, I saw a hot air balloon way too low and getting lower and pretty much over the interstate.  I pulled over to watch a bit, see if the balloon could make some altitude, which it finally did.  I thought it might land on the freeway and wouldn't that be interesting.


I trapped the mom and four kittens with one drop of the drop trap.   Done, I thought.  But the feeder lady says there are more than four.  I didn't trust leaving a trap with her.  It was nearly the deadline, according to her, of 9:00 a.m., when she said the pastor said nobody could be back there because church would be going on.

She is going to have to trap the ones left if there are any.

The mom is young and will have to return after spay.   There's no where for her to go.




Tabby male kitten

Tabby on white female kitten

Second tabby male
The fourth one, the other girl, is also a tabby on white.

All rescues and shelters around here are full, even if they were tame.  I don't know what I'll do.

I should have more faith.  Meow Village is taking all of them tomorrow.  The last kitten caught, late afternoon, after I set a trap then went to wait at a friends house, has one eye that looks like hamburger.  I asked if she'd drive me to go check the trap since I had not heard a peep since setting it, from the lady who said she'd check it.

On the way there though, we spotted smoke and went to investigate that.  It was a landscaping fire by the sidewalk by the Mobil gas station.


After we drove by the fire, we went back to check the trap and thankfully, it was closed and the kitten with the bad eye in it.  This time, a resident of the apartments was walking by and knew there were exactly five kittens.  No more guessing or wondering.  All were caught.  

This last kitten is so pathetic with that bad eye.   That's when Meow Village jumped in to offer to take them all, including the mom although I may be holding her a few days.   I was beyond grateful.  The kitten will go to the vet in the morning.  Silverton Cat Rescue will take mom to be fixed, since I had no reservations.

All of this is quite a huge relief to me and for the sake of the kittens and their mom.  And I got bailed out big time, in my weakness to help them without a plan beyond trapping them.





12 comments:

  1. The me, me, me people breed like the proverbial rabbits. How I wish they could be fixed. And that you could have a proper break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I"d already made plans for today to go to the lake with a friend. Looks like I will keep those plans, even though I'll be a little tired. Looking forward to it. Now to get the mom to the clinic and the kittens to Meow Village and the injured kitten to the vet.

      Delete
  2. I hope you are clear that you are doing this as a volunteer and no one is paying for it like the county. I wonder if some people think you're compensated in some way, so they can ask whatever they want. Or maybe some people are so self absorbed, they can't see beyond themselves.
    I imagine it would be a lot easier for you to take, if they were understanding with their requests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. People just want help for little kittens like these. I could have stayed strong and said no, but I do have a weakness for teen moms and little kittens. I'm happy this morning that I helped them. I won't be very much a part of helping them, only the trapping. Today they're being taken in by a really good small rescue and the bad eye kitten will get immediate vet care this morning.

      Delete
  3. You're certainly stuck between a rock and a hard place :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got bailed out, fortunately, luckily, from being a weak idiot and going for it, without a plan for afterwards. See the update at end of post.

      Delete
  4. What a mess. I'm sorry you have to deal with people like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well, it worked out this time, but only because a couple rescues bailed me out.

      Delete
  5. When it comes to church people mostly the evangel I put up the caution signs.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Faith is hard to come by these days. ~hugs~ Thank you for all you do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Faith in my friends and fellow cat rescuers is the faith I spoke of and they never seem to fail me. I hope to be as reliable.

      Delete

End of Warmth

 We had some nice days.   But the heat is gone. We'll be in the 60's again for awhile, with perhaps some drizzle. I love the heat.  ...